I got scammed and Paypal is not helping

Solange1234
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a baguette clay baker from a website. Didn't get the product. When I asked Paypal, they denied my claim because the vendor provided a tracking number that got delivered to my home address. The postal service did confirm to me that I didn't receive any package on the day in question, but that some envelope did get put in my mailbox with the assigned tracking number....the mail was an envelope weighing 0 ounces...what I ordered should have come in a package weighing about 13 lbs.... Paypal keeps placing obstacles...you cannot talk to them, you cannot add any details to your claim, it is as if they are working for the scammers.  I do have the list of mail that was delivered to my house on the date in question, but no way to communicate it to Paypal. I also have placed a formal complaint to the US Postal Inspector.  In the meantime, after denying my claim, Paypal agreed to reopen it when I complained loudly enough...now they want me to ship back the product I did not receive to the seller, at an address that is a residence is a state different from where the business supposedly was located....by the way, the website I ordered from Leonard Hunter Inc has mysteriously disappeared from the Internet...Paypal does not seem to think this would be a clue that the whole thing was a SCAM....I used to think that Paypal was a safe way to send payments on the interner...I no longer think so and I am seriously considering moving on and never using them again....Very sad...the most infuriating part is not being able to communicate with anyone.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Solange1234 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Solange1234 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Solange1234 

These scammers are a step ahead having scoped out the buyer/seller protection programs and figured out how defeat it. Mail back the "item" that you received associated with the tracking number with a tracking number and provide that to PayPal. Follow their procedure. 

PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you do not want to bother with paypal and you paid with a credit card, you are well within your rights to dispute through your card issuer instead. That's why you always use a credit card for extra path of recourse and well versed on the protections your card provide if any.

PayPal buyer protection is not a guarantee, warranty or insurance--PayPal never claimed it was and so has its limitations. If you did not receive a shipment at all, you file Item Not Received (INR). If you received something but not what was ordered, then file Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) claim and you'll have to return whatever it is you received if PayPal rules in your favor. That's how it works. Very basic protection with conditions that have to be met.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

cutenotmute
Contributor
Contributor

In most cases PayPal will side with the vendor instead of protecting their customers from scammers. They will find any reason to deny your claim. However it's still better than putting your credit card information out there. If multiple customers complain that a company is a scam you would think Pay Pay could refuse to pay them. Pay Pal is not customer friendly. They act like an insurance company when it comes to denying claims..

Login to Me Too

Moneylaundering
Contributor
Contributor
You’re absolutely right they have no interest in their customers whatsoever 😞
Login to Me Too

Moneylaundering
Contributor
Contributor
To be honest I’m not surprised reading this paypal are a bunch of crooks and flout national laws such as the consumer credit act in the uk by acting as money launderers for products that don’t turn up and when you dispute it they’re impossible to get hold of and don’t even bother investigating and rubber stamp the dispute as solved without even speaking to you !!! Useless
Login to Me Too

Ricky_Tang
Contributor
Contributor
Always call PayPal as that seems to be easier and information discussed is more clear. Also you CANNOT send anything back to China. See info here: Prohibited items importing into china. items marked "Made in ROC" (Republic of China). The label "Made in Taiwan" is acceptable. https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=CN
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.