I filed a dispute it was closed within 24 hours how do I file a claim?

brittanyderosse
Contributor
Contributor
I have contacted the merchant for a refund several times, no response, I filed a dispute and paypal closed it within 24 hours. How do I file a claim to try and get a refund?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brittanyderosse 

It would help if you said what dispute you opened and if you escalated it to a claim?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

brittanyderosse
Contributor
Contributor
I opened a dispute that I did not receive my items, and the merchant would not contact me back. I didnt know how to escalate it to a claim, so this morning they closed the dispute. And I have tried to figure out how I can try to get a refund but it looks like paypal isnt goung too even though I have all the proof needed.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brittanyderosse 

Sadly paypal do not get involved in a dispute UNTIL you escalate it to a claim.

The dispute phase is for communication with the seller to see if you can resolve any issues.

However if you don't escalate to a claim then it will time out at 20 days post opening.

Unfortunately you are only allowed x1 dispute per transaction.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then you could contact them and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

brittanyderosse
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for that information. I am trying to figure out how to escalate a dispute to a claim. Ive never had to do this before. Do I message paypal or is there somewhere with directions on how I escalate it to a claim. I paid with my bank account card through paypal, I guess if I cannot figure it out through paypal hopefully my bank will help. I thought maybe messaging paypal and asking for to escalate the dispute to a claim may would help considering I have all the proof I have tried contacting the seller through messages, email, etc.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brittanyderosse 

As i said once you have closed a dispute or its closed by paypal or timed out then you no longer have the option to escalate to a claim.

And you can only open x1 dispute per transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.