I can't verify my account and I can't get my balance out.

SilviaDrift
New Community Member

Here's my current situation. I opened up this Canadian Paypal account when I was living in my holiday property in Canada. This PayPal account is registered to a Canadian address. I have since sold the property as I have moved back to Hong Kong and can no longer get updated documents (address proof included) that associates me to that property. This is the issue:

1. I cannot update my address in my account as they only accept Canadian addresses and I no longer have one.
  2. I tried emailing and calling, but they Paypal always gives me the standard response of what they want as address proof. I know what they want already, but they don't seem to understand that I cannot provide them.
  3. The Canadian Revenue Agency some times send me mail to my Hong Kong address. This is in fact the kind of address proof that PayPal wants, but it is addressed to my Hong Kong location instead of the Canadian address registered to my PayPal account.
  4. I still have some balance within my PayPal account and I just want to get my money out, but I no longer have a Canadian bank account. Paypal won't let me link my Hong Kong bank account.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SilviaDrift 

That's the thing, all this stuff should have been taken care of when you were still in Canada. PayPal accounts are country specific and can't add any foreign bank, unless it's a US bank account because PayPal is US company and as a courtesy to US users living abroad. PayPal accounts are not as. mobile as people like to think and are like bank accounts insofar that you have to close it out and take your money with you when you move to another country. Your money is pretty much stuck until PayPal escheats it to the Province of your former residence and you can try to get it from the Canadian Government as Unclaimed Property:

"Dormant accounts

If you do not log in to your PayPal account for two or more years, PayPal may close your PayPal account and send the PayPal balance to your primary address or, if required, escheat (send) your PayPal balance to your province of residency.  PayPal will determine your province of residency based on the primary address for your PayPal account.  If your address is unknown or registered in a foreign country, your PayPal balance will be escheated.  Where required, PayPal will send you a notice prior to escheating any funds in your PayPal account.  If you fail to respond to this notice, your PayPal balance will be escheated to the applicable province.  If you would like to claim any escheated PayPal balance from the applicable province, please contact the applicable province’s unclaimed property administrator."

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_CA#miscellaneous

Now you got to open a new PayPal account in the HK using HK based account info and financials if you plan on using PayPal there:

https://www.paypal.com/hk/webapps/mpp/account-selection

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.