I believe I've been scammed.

Ks2394
New Community Member

I purchased some digital content for a video game, Namely an account.

The item was delivered however the details where changed shortly afterwards, I contacted the seller directly and requested a refund to which he stated he would do so and it'd take 3-5 days.

Nothing came from this so I contacted them again and got no response, I then raised a dispute, at this point i was asked to close the dispute so he could refund me directly, which I did.

However I've now only just been informed that closing the dispute means i'm no longer entitled to my refund? And the seller is refusing to reply again, It's literally £10, I'm not truly bothered about the money but it's disgusting that I'm unable to re-open the claim and I'm now being scammed out of my own earned money.

Is there any resolution to this? Again I'm not really that bothered if not but if possible I'd like to chase it up as the person doing this has multiple negative reviews as of recent date and is refusing to issue refunds to multiple people (Based on his shoppy feedback page)

Seems strange how paypal can give the money to the seller yet is unable to allow me to retrieve said funds.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ks2394 

Unfortunately, once you opt to close the dispute, it means you deem the matter resolved so you do not get another chance at the trough.

How do I close a PayPal dispute or claim?

"If you close a dispute or a claim it’s important to be aware that the claim can’t be reopened. Closing a dispute tells us that the dispute or claim has been resolved to your satisfaction."

Therefore, NEVER close a dispute unless you actually receive your item or a refund.

You can message PayPal by clicking "Messaging Us" in the warning box about covid-19 above to see if they can reopen it for you...no guarantees though.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Ks2394
New Community Member

So basically the scammers have had away with my money and there's nothing I can do regarding this?

Brilliant.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ks2394 

If the seller was being dodgy to begin with, don't fall for them telling you to close the dispute in order to refund, that is a red flag.

You can try clicking "messaging us" in the box above about covid-19 and see what they can do but no guarantees. Your other option is dispute through your card issuer if you paid by credit card as per section 2.e at:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/buyer-protection

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Ks2394
New Community Member

Thank you for the kind directions, As I say it's not a great amount of money it's more so the principle that with being in the midst of a global pandemic and currently out of work it's rather annoying.

The seller said that he'd be unable to process a refund as I've listed up a dispute claim and it'd somehow affect the refund, It's my first time doing this so I wasn't exactly well educated in regards.

I'll just try to call customer support as the Help service is rather limited,

Thank you for your insight

Have a lovely day 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.