I am the victim of a scam, now what?

Barstowcowboy
Contributor
Contributor
I have been ripped off by someone using a paypal account that is actually tied to a known person. This person promised to send my order upon paypal payment, that turned into a promise to send it the next day, then the day after that, then on the weekend, then on Monday, etc. I asked for a refund, he stalled on tha too, I reported the matter to the police in my coty and his city and since then he’s gone quiet, refusing to respond. How long do I have to wait on PayPal’s resolution? I feel like in a case such as this where it’s an obvious ripoff and a police report has been made I should be made whole asap.
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

File a dispute, then escalate into claim. Then PP will set a date for resolution, which may be repeatedly pushed back, but if by that date seller still doesn't respond then case will be determined in your favor.

Login to Me Too

Barstowcowboy
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, cool, I did all that and I believe that 9.17 is my resolution date. Is there any way that they'll just take his word over mine, like, without proof? Like if he claims to have sent my order but offers no proof? I have a police report to prove that I am making a valid claim, will that carry any weight?

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

All seller needs to provide to PP is a valid tracking number, showing that something got delivered somewhere (maybe same zipcode). So lots of victims are taken that way, in that case PP will ask the buyer do the investigation himself, asking the shipper for prove that the shipment end up at wrong address. However shippers won't give out internal documents like that. So PP is asking for something buyers can't normally provide, that's how the scam works.

Filing a police report will show you are a genuine victim and not a buyer trying to scam seller. Also file complaint at ic3.gov (ic3 dot gov), PP asked me to file there and upload prove of submission. You may want to file there too.

Login to Me Too

Barstowcowboy
Contributor
Contributor

ALright, cool then, I've already filed both a police report and an IC3 report. I guess I'll have to wait it out.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.