I am a victim of fraud/scam

MP_User1029
New Community Member

Hello to you all - 

I am a victim of fraud. I was recently asked to join a community and invested $500. Within two weeks I was told the organization cannot operate. They then basically ran with my money. Now there is no communication. I found out that this organization is being investigated for scamming many people out of thousands of dollars. 

I filed a claim through PayPal to have an investigation open and to get a reversal of the money I paid, which went to another Pay Pal user. But PayPal is very clever, they only give you the option of filing a case under unauthorized user. Which is a set up to not pursue any action. The reality is, because I allowed myself to be scammed, then it is not PayPal's business to protect me. 

It is also interesting to read similar stories. Since this organization is now on the radar of the authorities, I thought sharing this info with PayPal would at least force them to get up off their **bleep** and investigate. At least if they  had contacted this other Pay Pal user, then it would help me come to a resolution. 

The following is PayPal's actual response. 

MP_User1029_0-1599142865486.gif

An update about your case

We've completed our review of your unauthorized activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use.

PayPal payment history.

For more information about these cases, log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Center.

You may request a copy of the documents we used in determining the final outcome of the investigation. 

I responded by asking for the copy of documents they used to make their final outcome. However, they are now not responding. I am now contacting the Federal Trade Commission to report PayPal for consumer abuse.  If your case is unresolved as well, I suggest you do the same. 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

bluesman70
New Community Member

Going through the exact same issue.  Put an illegal purchase in dispute on Sept 1.  Says clearly that they will get back to me yesterday Sept 2.

Still nothing....called and IVR hung up after I authenticated.....replied to chat at 10:52 this morning.  As of 11:27 there is still no answer.

Login to Me Too

MP_User1029
New Community Member

I am not going to back down on this. This is all intentional. It took PayPal less than 24 hours to make a "decision" on my claim. It has now be more than 24 hours since asking them for the information they used to make their decision. Sickening!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MP_User1029 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.
As you did take the risk to make that transaction then of course that dispute type would be closed.

Paypal covers you for 'non receipt of item' or 'item received but not as described' OR if you were hacked.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Contact customer service via chat in message center and have them change the dispute/claim type to "item or service not received".

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.