I Had No Idea

Cyberfly
New Community Member

Imagine my surprise to find all of these dispute problems. The few that I've had over the years dealt with scammers on ebay. 

Yesterday I ATTEMPTED to send my son $20. Right? Just a measly twenty bucks.

I was on the mobile app and clicked his photo under the contacts. It pulled up an old childhood email address that I had seen hundreds of times. I didn't know that he hadn't been using it. 

As it turns out, a SCAMMER named Gina Godsil (that's the name on their unverified PayPal account) had hacked my sons childhood email. It didn't give me her name as the recipient until I sent the money and received the email notification. Funny thing is, he received the email notification that money was waiting for him, but he can't access the email or the money since it was redirected to Gina's account.

Anywho, I called PayPal. Spoke with a really nice lady who looked at the Gina Godsil account and told me that there were 'numerous' unrelated email addresses attached to it. She assured me that they'd take care of it. She walked me through the steps, told me what to type in the fields, and assured me that their Fraud team would look into the Gina Godsil account and address it.

Imagine my surprise when I receive an email tonight at nearly midnight saying that PayPal decided the transaction followed my previous activities and there was no fraud.
WHAT?!
Yeah, so...it's only twenty bucks, right? Yeah, except I receive the grand majority of my money from PayPal transactions. If I can't trust that they have my back on a measly twenty bucks, how can I be assured they'll have my back on the larger transfers? I sent a long email to PayPal and tried to explain what occurred, but if they don't make this right, I think I'm going to have to find a different money transfer app that I can feel safer with.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Cyberfly, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

I apologize for the confusion regarding this review. It sounds like the transaction was reported as unauthorized. Although the transaction was not intended for this person, when the review is completed it will evaluate all the information available on your own account to determine if it was you as the account holder that made the payment. As there was no unauthorised activity on your own account the report would be denied and we would be unable to return the funds. 

The recipient's account will still be reviewed and any necessary action will be taken. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.