How to resolve a Scam - Possible loophole in Paypal?

tph512
Contributor
Contributor

I am having an issue with a recent purchase that was made.  I purchased a video game console called a Nintendo Switch for $250 and received a plastic phone case instead. I realized it was fraudelent right after but Paypal wouldn't let me cancelt the transaction.  I believe the seller has found a loophole with paypal in that after I made the purchase the item was never sent, I opened a dispute and had to indicate that the item never shipped.  The item was then shipped and paypal received a tracking number for the shipment so the dispute was closed.  The item that was shipped was not what was advertised and was a plastic phone case, with costs far less then the actual item, but paypal doesn't allow you to open a second dispute on an item, so I wasn't able to say that the item received was not what was advertised.  I have been unable to open other disputes indicating this and my cases have been closed, I even tried reporting that the case was unauthorized and gave info in the message center.  I have tried e-mailing spoof@paypal.com, tried leaving feedback on their reviews, so I am not sure what else I can do.  Anyone have any suggestions.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

To change dispute type yoou need to contact customer service. Start a chat on message center, answer the bot questions to let the algorithm know you want a human (may have to be creative on what you think works), then explain your situation. Expect a long wait though, but once yoou get a human I think the chat session stay open till you close it, so you may get multiple people over multiple days in a conversation.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Philip39
Contributor
Contributor

I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau this seems to get their attention. 

Login to Me Too

Cmog
New Community Member

Same situation except now the company wants me to return the plastic cell phone case before theY consider refunding my money. Return with tracking to China about $60. I also purchased a game which was a separate transaction. So I have two of these “lovely” cases. I purchased from this dealer only because of the PayPal option. I mistakenly thought that PayPal had a reputation of standing behind their consumers and would not lead us astray or without recourse. Trying to make a birthday special has cost me way more than I can afford. 

Login to Me Too

tph512
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to even speak to someone at paypal or an e-mail address that works?  No one seems to be available on the other end.  

Well on the bright side I had a big laugh from the "legitimate" business contact info where the e-mail address was <removed> and the store was  "The Best Online Store".  I had a vision of some Chinese teenager thinking what should I call my fraudulent business?  How about "The Best Online Store", that will convince people we are legit.  

Login to Me Too
Solved

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

To change dispute type yoou need to contact customer service. Start a chat on message center, answer the bot questions to let the algorithm know you want a human (may have to be creative on what you think works), then explain your situation. Expect a long wait though, but once yoou get a human I think the chat session stay open till you close it, so you may get multiple people over multiple days in a conversation.

Login to Me Too

tph512
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you, I was able to get through
Login to Me Too

Philip39
Contributor
Contributor

Yea i'm in the same boat. They want it mail it back china with tracking info.  The US government does not subsidize shipping. The ONLY USPS ship method that will give you tracking all the way to delivery in China will cost you a little over $60 for a small package (Global Express Guaranteed, which is only available at USPS.com). If you use any other USPS ship method, it will not be tracked to delivery to protect your return, and you will probably never get a refund from the seller. This is scam and paypal knows it and not really helping their customers.  

Login to Me Too

Doidle
Contributor
Contributor

Similar issue. I ordered a $60 leaf blower from WIGBARK.COM and after dutifully following the tracking, my package arrived - 10 cents worth of disposable paper facemasks. Reported immediately to Wigpark with requested pictures and to Paypal.  I refused the first partial offer made through Paypal. Wigpark have procrastinated for a month now with stupid offers but I notice that the Paypayresolution date slips each time they write.  They have now said they will refund through Paypal in 10-14 days and to contact them if (when?) the refund fails to arrive.  This has all the hallmarks of a scam yet like other contributers, I have been unable to get through to Paypal to push this.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.