How to prove a payment was unauthorised

MarkLambert
Contributor
Contributor

A friend of mine has had £650+ pounds taken out of their account in what seems to be a hack however the case has been closed as the payments were deemed as ''not unauthorised''.

After ringing paypal, they said the payments were not suspicious despite the sudden huge amount spent since they were gaming related and a couple of past payments (none to the same websites) were also game related.

They also said that the IP address used was consistent , however, on my friends their bank statement the billing address on one of the payments was to Germany, what is the best way of proving this statement as proof towards this case?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MarkLambert

The billing address just shows what card was used to fund it OR what address the funds were sent to.

Paypal would have checked your IP address / devices and if it showed that the IP address was consistant with your other transactions then you would unfortunately lose any dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MarkLambert
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass So if some malware or other means allowed a fraudulent payment to mimic the IP then theres no way of proving otherwise?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MarkLambert

Possibly, I am not all that techie savvy on those sort of things so I don't know exactly how paypal make their decisions apart from IP / Devices.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.