How to issue partial refund after claim filed?

mogambotek
New Community Member

I want to issue a partial refund to someone who has filed a claim. However, after a while I got an automatic response from Paypal saying the buyer will ship my item back to me, and upon receiving it I can issue them the full refund amount. However, the buyer has since contacted me and just wants a partial refund and to keep the item. However in resolution center, if I click on "respond" it gives a pop up to issue the full refund, and doesn't allow me to issue a partial one. I have not yet clicked on the "Issue Refund" button, because I do not accidentally want to refund the full amount. 

Any suggestions on how I can issue a partial refund in this case?

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mogambotek 

Sadly the time to negotiate returns or part refunds between seller and buyer is in the dispute phase of the claim.

Once escalated to a dispute the ONLY option paypal gives if the buyer wins the dispute is to return the item back to you trackable to prove delivery for a full refund.

If the buyer trusts you then they could close the dispute and then you could part refund but personally as a buyer i would never risk doing that so they probably won't agree.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.