How to create a dispute if the payment was made without logging into a PayPal account?

braddewhat
New Community Member

I purchased a used phone last week from a user on Swappa.  Payment was made via credit card through PayPal, but I did not log into my account when making the payment.  I need to return the phone as it's not working and want to raise a dispute.  How do I create a dispute when the transaction ID is not associated with my account?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@braddewhat

If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and did NOT log into your paypal account then of course it won't show on your paypal account as you bought as a 'guest buyer'.

If you need to open a dispute for a 'guest buyer' transaction then you can.......

1. Phone Paypal customer services and see if they will open one for you OR
2. Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JohnL1951
New Community Member
Thanks. I think I need to go through my credit card issuer as when I phoned customer services the IVR did not give me the option to speak to an agent and referred me to dispute resolution which is useless for Guest purchases.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.