How long does a dispute take?

JackBucknall
Contributor
Contributor

so i bought a phone off a seller, which was quite pricey (£300). They seemed ok and told me they were away for a week and wouldn’t be able to ship until they were back, which was inconvenient but I was ok with it.

however, they kept having excuses for not posting it, like their flight being late and that they had to go to hospital. By now I just wanted my money back and couldn’t be bothered to wait, as I myself will be leaving the country soon and needed to phone before then.

but then when I asked the seller for a refund she said it had already been shipped. Obviously I was delighted and asked for the tracking number. She gave me the tracking number and when I went on Royal Mail it said it had already been delivered, when it hadn’t

by now I’d realised I’d be scammed.

although then she said she’d given me the wrong tracking number, so she gave me another on, but it still said delivered. When I told her about such she started swearing at me and made some quite offensive remarks.

i then started a dispute, and she said in the messages that she didn’t know what I was on about, because apparently I had said the Gucci slides had already arrived. Well for one I didn’t order Gucci slides and two I never confirmed anything on the delivery. She then proceeded to say that the police would be outside my house tomorrow morning. 

Apparently she has evidence of it?

she now won’t respond to any messages.

i know it sounds stupid but it’s been hanging over my head for the past few days and I’m actually scared the police are going to arrive at my house.

also as soon as I get the chance to take the dispute further and make it a claim, I will. But I’m still worried I’ll loose the case because the false tracking number has been uploaded onto PayPal and it will say arrived even though it hasn’t.

this is quite a big purchase for me and I need the money back as soon as possible! Are there any ways I can get it back quicker, if not how long will it take?

thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

JackBucknall
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your advice,

ive phoned paypal and I’m literally 99% not getting my money back.

i thought i had added an address onto the payment but I didn’t, so apparently i don’t qualify for buyer protection. Although i still thinks this proves the sellers a scammer as if he didn’t know the address, how did he ship? What’s your thought on that?

and also i used my paypal credit to buy it so my bank cant dispute the charges either.

the only chance i have is winning the dispute or claim, which likely wont happen so r.i.p my money.

i was thinking on the small court claim thing but really for only £300 I’m not sure its worth it.

but many thanks for the advice given, appreciated!

jack

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JackBucknall 

1. Forget the police, they are not going to be interested in a single Paypal transaction gone wrong 🤣 apart from the fact it would be a 'civil' not 'criminal' matter, I think they have better things to do with their time.

2. If the tracking shows as delivered then yes you may well lose so your best bet is to contact customer services and state what has happened so far so the dispute is not automatically closed.

3. If you lose the dispute then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then you could contact them and see if they will chargeback for you.

4. If all else fails small claims court maybe?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

JackBucknall
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your advice,

ive phoned paypal and I’m literally 99% not getting my money back.

i thought i had added an address onto the payment but I didn’t, so apparently i don’t qualify for buyer protection. Although i still thinks this proves the sellers a scammer as if he didn’t know the address, how did he ship? What’s your thought on that?

and also i used my paypal credit to buy it so my bank cant dispute the charges either.

the only chance i have is winning the dispute or claim, which likely wont happen so r.i.p my money.

i was thinking on the small court claim thing but really for only £300 I’m not sure its worth it.

but many thanks for the advice given, appreciated!

jack

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.