How is this legal?

jessica1321
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered an item online it shipped and was not what I ordered. The company would not reply to me so I went to the resolution center where I took the steps but the demands were not what I agree to. I was not going to keep the item for $2 refund nor was I going to incur more $ by shipping it back to them. It was their mistake wether intentional or not, not mine. So because I didn't ship and I waited for company to send me a shipping label as I requested they denied my case and won't reopen it. Isn't this illegal? How can PayPal use my balance to pay for an item and then bill the remaining balance on my credit card and when I get scammed by the company I ordered from I have no repercussions? PayPal won't process this as electronic or mail fraud because that is exactly what it is looking like the more I investigate into this company. How is it that PayPal can legally process and support scam companies like this? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jessica1321 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jessica1321 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jessica1321
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernowlass, 

The company looked legit had easy returns and refunds all the bells and whistles you would look for to purchase from. Also PayPal used a balance I had instead of just my credit card of file and they say there is nothing they can do, which is in fact false. If they are the ones using their "PayPal cash" they are the ones who are electronically dealing handling payments and should return funds for fraudulent transactions. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jessica1321 

Paypal gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection but that can never be a 100% coverall, so its up to all of us to risk assess our own transactions.

Even some credit card companies are now saying return the goods first for a refund.

If you didn't have to return the goods first then all a buyer had to do was file a false dispute for goods and then keep both goods and money. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.