How is the 180 day limit for submitting a case in the resolution center counted?

45dfgdsg2q456
Contributor
Contributor

I made a purchase on June 22, 2018, and 180 days from that date would be today, December 19, 2018 if the 22nd starts at zero.  I submitted a case today (the 180th day) to the resolution center but it immediately went to the closed section, and the reason listed was being past 180 days.  Is this not correct?  How exactly does PayPal count 180 days?  Do they count the day you make the purchase as the 1st day?  Or perhaps they count down to the second that you made the purchase?

The PayPal Buyer Protection policy simply says 180 days from purchase. It doesn't specify if it's to the end of the day, or to the exact second in GMT time, or your local time which may include daylight saving adjustment.

I tried sending an Email to PayPal 2 days ago to ask when 180 days was, but did not receive a reply.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

45dfgdsg2q456
Contributor
Contributor

Well, after 2 attempts to submit the question on the PayPal contact form over the past week, I still never got a response from customer support, and now it's too late.

I wrote a message to the PayPal Facebook page and someone wrote back that the system counts 4320 hours past the exact second that you made the purchase as the 180 day limit.  However, this wasn't explained in the PayPal policies, which simply states "180 days past the date of purchase". Typically on any other deadline, like for taxes, applications, validity of your tickets and identification cards, etc, you have until the end of the day, which was what I had assumed.

Even if the system counts 4320 hours, I thought I still had enough time, but I calculated the purchase hour wrongly because of the strange way that PayPal displays time zones.  They write:

hh:mm:ss GMT +2  (for European time zones)

This causes confusion because GMT is an actual time zone.  So I didn't know if the time was GMT time and then I have to add +2 to get my local time, or if the time was already converted to my local time and I have to subtract -2 to get UTC time.

The more correct way of displaying local time would be:

[hh+2]:mm:ss (UTC+2)

The correct way of displaying universal time is:

hh:mm:ss UTC

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.