How far does PayPal Protection go?

Scoodle
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all.

The situation is that I bought a new watch on the 30th November 2019 from an established eBay business located (as was the watch) in this country (UK). It carried a 2-year warranty.  The second hand has just fallen off... 

I contacted the seller and they offered to either repair it or to give me £15 to have the job done locally. On most watches this would have been a simple and cheap task but being a slim Skagen lady's watch I was told by a local watch repairer that the dial and hands couldn't be accessed via the watch's back cover, but that the glass would need removing - possibly destructively - instead; this would cost a lot more than £15.

When I told the seller this, they then informed me that their repairer was based in Italy and was closed due to the Corona virus - they'd repair the watch once they reopened. In addition, it would cost me 15 euros for the return postage.

Does anyone know where PayPal's protection stands here - am I covered in any way? Can their seller be obliged to have it repaired in this country, or offer a refund or replacement (they still have this model in stock)?

Thanks. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Scoodle 

Paypal covers you for non receipt of item OR item received but significantly not as described.

It is not an insurance policy or a warranty.

However if the seller offered you a warranty but won't abide by it then you have the option of the small claims court.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Scoodle 

Paypal covers you for non receipt of item OR item received but significantly not as described.

It is not an insurance policy or a warranty.

However if the seller offered you a warranty but won't abide by it then you have the option of the small claims court.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Scoodle
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Kernow lass. I understand now it is as you say. Cheers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.