How do you claim funds when you can’t open a US bank account?

Breds2019
Contributor
Contributor
To say I am annoyed with PayPal would be a gross understatement. They have been useless in helping our non profit organization Breds Treasure Beach Foundation establishes in 1998 solve this year long problem - no one reads complaint letters or customer satisfaction questionnaires, the call centers answer questions off a script and nothing more. I am on hold with them as I type. We have a nonprofit in Jamaica. We had a fundraiser last year. We have raised significant funds that we use for our programming (pay teachers, coaches, support conservation efforts). We have been locked out of our account and are not being able to upload the documents we need in order to verify it/upgrade it. We kept being told to do this - but the account won’t let us. We are also being told we need to open a US bank account in the US in order to access the funds. We are not US citizens/a US NGO. This is therefore impossible. We have previously received checks from PayPal - this apparently is no longer possible. I have tried every way possible to reach someone who can tell me anything useful via the call centers - and they they telL me the same thing over and over again. Not to mention putting me on hold for 15 minutes or more at a time. I am inches away from taking this to twitter and doing a name and shame campaign. The nonprofit we run is prominent in Jamaica - my husband (the chairman) just won a national award for it. I have spoken to other Jamaicans/Jamaican ngos who have closed their accounts for the same reason. Why offer this service to Jamaicans in Jamaica if they can’t access the funds?? If you are worried about scammers in Jamaica - let me tell you PayPal I feel like we are being scammed and you are in fact perhaps using our money otherwise. Why else are you making it impossible for us to access it? If anyone, anyone, out there with any authority or sense of how to deal with this in a useful manner can assist please write me - I am beyond frustrated - oh and by the way - still on hold with PayPal. A company with appalling customer service - the worst that I have possibly ever dealt with.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Breds2019 

Paypal varies country to country dependent on the services the governments / banks of that country allow them to offer.

In your country you can only withdraw funds via requesting a cheque.
The only exception is you can add a U.S bank account to other countries paypal accounts. This is because Paypal is a U.S company.

Click on the link below and select the country you want from the drop down list for options available in that country.
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Breds2019
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks but it’s not so simple - and I have visited that page before etc. We have, it would seem, been irrevocably locked out of our account and cannot make the required changes. So I can’t even get to that stage of seeing what our options are - although it is still saying link a US card or US account. We have a USD account in Jamaica (Where we previously without issue deposited the last check) but neither a card nor account based in the states. I really just need someone at PayPal to walk me through it - lift the limited access while I upload all the info they are asking for verification - we have it in hand - and get them to send a last check or wire transfer or something so I can close my account. Because goodness knows we will NEVER use them again. What’s ironic to me is that they have just launched Xoom - in Jamaica - a PayPal service like western Union - with Usain Bolt, maybe I should ask him who to deal with/get him on board with my impending Twitter campaign - he has a few followers to say the least.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rich

Hello @Breds2019

Thanks for posting in the PayPal Community forums for help with this issue. From what you explained, it sounds like your PayPal account has been limited. I'm sorry to hear that.

If you need further assistance with this issue, I would recommend contacting PayPal customer service directly.

You can reach customer support by FacebookTwitter, or phone or email.

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.