How Do I Stop Fraudulent Charges Coming from Gaming Websites?

Chicadita
New Community Member

I am trying to help my mother with her PayPal account.  She noticed a strange PayPal charge for about $23.  We looked it up and it was some gaming company with fee-based first person shooter games.  Not something she/we'd buy.  Went through the process to report the charge, changed her password twice during the process (I had her change it as soon as she said "strange charge").  

It deducted from her PayPal balance, so it didn't seem like they had her credit card, but rather her PayPal account info.

Thought everything was OK. For about a day.

It just happened again with another gaming website and this time the charge was in Euros.  About $25.  

Ok...

What does someone have of hers that is allowing them to keep charging her account?

In cancelling this, PayPal asked if she had not authorized this "gift card" in June.  We said "no."  

I opened up her gift cards section in her My Money/Wallet section. No gift cards are recorded.  There is no transaction history of any gift card.  Is there some new hacker thing where they link your account to a gift card and changing the password doesn't matter?  If the deductions were from her PayPal balance and not a credit card, then the hacker doesn't have a card number, right?  

How do I stop future fraudulent charges coming in from these gaming websites?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Taco241
New Community Member

Same thing happened to me.

I noticed two charges to some gaming website.

Changed my password and reported the problem to Paypal. I chose a complicated 16-digit password from a random generator.

about 8 hours later, Bam, two more charges from other shady gaming websites. Ho wis this possible. They should not have my new password.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.