How Can I Get Money Back When an Item is Not Sent?

AndyM000
New Community Member

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone can help me get money back. I payed for an item I was buying on Facebook Marketplace but the guy simply didn't send it. I tried to open a Paypal 'dispute' but I wasn't given the option of listing it as 'item not received' so it was automatically listed under 'unauthorised activity'. Because of this the case has been declined and closed because it is not classed as unauthorised activity, which it wasn't because I did send the money, but I wanted to report the problem as I have paid for something that I didn't get. How can Paypal not see that I should get that money back? It's a straightforward case. If it was Ebay they'd sort it and rule in your favour straight away, how come it's so hard or seemingly impossible with Paypal? Any help appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AndyM000 

SOUNDS AS IF YOU USED THE FRIENDS /FAMILY OPTION TO SEND THE PAYMENT???

IF SO THEN.....................

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).
You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.