Hotrait - Should I return incorrect item delivered or should I keep it?

Tran9
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

On Sunday 1/07/2018 night I follow an link from Facebook to Hotrait web site and I ordered 2 items 9.88” 4K Full Touch Screen Streaming Media Dual Lens Mirror Dash Cam with the promotion buy 2 SAVE $50 (I paid with PayPal $US129.96 = $AU183.56) as shown in Figure 1 below and got a confirm Email as shown in Figure 2.

On Monday 16/07/2018 I received an incorrect items 2 x Rear-view Mirror Vehicle Traveling Data Recorder as shown in Figure 3 below.

On Tuesday 17/07/2018 I email to <removed> and request for replacement for the items that I have ordered, but I got no respond from them.

On Monday 23/07/2018 I sent a message via Paypal web site to request for a replacement and got a respond from Hotrait to return items to Hong Kong (<removed>) as shown in Figure 4, 

"Dear Customer, We’re sincerely sorry that our product can’t make you satisfied, you can return it to us if you want to. But please pay attention: 1.Please make sure the item and packing is intact. If it can’t meet our requests, we may not refund. 2. And, we only accept DHL or UPS as deliver method. Our return address:<removed>

So I escalated to Paypal to resolve this issue and Paypal requested that I return the items to China address <removed>, Shenzhen, GUANGDONG Province 518000 China" as shown in Figure 5.

"After careful review, we have determined that you are eligible for a refund. To qualify for this refund, please ship the items whose claims were granted back to the seller in their original condition and keep your tracking information. You are responsible for shipping and handling costs.

Please mail to:<removed>

The cost of return these two items to China is approx $AU40.

I keep thinking, if a Hotrait company (Zhaowei ShaSan Shopping Mall,  ShaJing Street, Baoan District, ShenZhen GuangDong) could not sent a correct item that I have ordered and not responding to my email for a week, should I trust this company?

Should I spend another $AU40 to return these items and will I get my $AU183.56 refund?

What if I return the items and did not get my refund I will lost a total of $AU223.6 with nothing in my hand?

Is Hotrait a Scam web site?

[Figure 1] Ordered 9.88” 4K Full Touch Screen Streaming Media Dual Lens Mirror Dash Cam

HotraitOrdered.jpg

[Figure 2] Hotrait confirm Email of the order.

HotraitConfirmEmail.jpg

[Figure 3] I received incorrect items 2 x Rear-view Mirror Vehicle Traveling Data Recorder.

HotraitDelivered.jpg

[Figure 4] Hotrait request to return items to<removed>

HotraitReturn1.jpg

[Figure 5] Paypal request return item to <removed>

HotraitReturn2.jpg

Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36

REMI_Guy
Contributor
Contributor

I called this morning again and was told I lost my case as I provided no tracking information.  The fact the previous rep said this would be renewed to a full 11 days and she will email the seller asking for new address etc was ignored.  The rep then disputed how much it costs to send a package to hong kong, so he thought he would go on the price comparison.  I said it was more than £15,  the cheapest quote he had was £21 or so.  That wasn't even enough.  In a nut shell I believe PayPal are completely aware of what they are doing and in order minimise there being out of pocket as they probably cannot track or recover the funds from the seller anymore, it is cheaper for them to let the customer suffer.

I asked what the buyer protection was as it is obviously false advertising by PayPal.  I do not recall any adequate response to that. The fact they cannot even contact the seller should should indicate that the "Buyer Protection" scheme is not fit for purpose and PayPal have neglected to properly vet users.

I also asked 2 reps for their written complaints policy, oh you just email us your complaint was the response from both of them.

I've now reached my limit and PayPal are FACILITATING CRIME by allowing the scammers to get away with the issue so easily.  Therefore, anyone affected by such scams and have had their cases closed due to not recieving a sufficient postal address, please do get in touch with me.  <removed>.  Alternatively, feel free to visit Rip off britain: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wck32/contact

I will also be reporting the matter to the Police and highlighting the ease at which PayPal has enabled this when simply reading and responding adequately could have remedied the issue.  I am going to send my whole correspondence file to Rip Off Britain in the hopes that many of you do the same to show that this is a wide spread issue and PayPal do not provide sufficient customer care or act with due diligence.

Login to Me Too

Blond1
Contributor
Contributor

Any changes in our cases with vacuum? I can´t belive, that PP not help us.

Login to Me Too

herbalgal24
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed by this seller too just now.  He places false ads and mails different items.  He wont answer emails and the shop I bought from is not working anymore.  He shouldn't be allowed to have a paypal account.  I googled his email address and there were many scammed buyers from this guy.  He is a scammer and paypal needs to freeze his account.  Highlife Tech. in China

Login to Me Too

Vora
Contributor
Contributor

I have just had exactly the same problem. I ordered from same website as you and paid via PayPal. I received a completely different product which is worth less than the return postage. The return address is :

<removed>,Bao'an District,Shenzhen,DUANGDONG,518000

which is completely different to the return address on the package itself. 

Raised a dispute in Paypal, the seller responded with

We’re sincerely sorry that our product can’t make you satisfied, you can return it to us if you want to. But please pay attention: 1.Please make sure the item and packing is intact. If it can’t meet our requests, we may not refund. 2. And, we only accept DHL or UPS as deliver method. Our return address:<removed>,Bao'an District,Shenzhen,DUANGDONG,518000

However, the cost of the return via DHL is $27 USD so adding more cost then what I have already been scammed with.  Why should I have to pay for return for something the seller sent incorrectly.

Did anyone get a successful resolution to this issue ?

Login to Me Too

kvanroon
Contributor
Contributor

I did get a refund, but it took a while. The original package came from Shenyang (NE of Beijing) and the seller refused to reply to my emails so I escalated to PP. They received another address from the seller to send it to Hong Kong and I had to reply stating that the user would have to supply a prepaid return label  if they wanted me to sent it by DHL or UPS (even though they sent it by regular mail to me). A week later I got a different address (Guangdong). Ended up having to phone them and fight my case and remind them that if they allow scammers to use their PP logo then they should honor their promise of buyer protection. Additionally I explained that a legit company would not have the package sent to a third address than the one on the package label. They know they're scam sites but they try and turn a blind eye. These scam sites are discussed both here on the community, on Facebook and on the RPF website. You just need to document everything.

Best advice is to write everything down so when you phone them up you can state your case and 'May the Force be with you' (to win your claim).

Login to Me Too

LostLogic
New Community Member

I'm in the same process as most of you right now. Luckily, the Internet Archive and Way Back Machine had taken a snapshot of the item I'd purchased and they kind of **bleep** up in the wording on the listing. It has the following text:

WE PROMISE THAT OUR PRODUCTS AND PICTURES WILL BE 100% IDENTICAL. IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE RECEIPT OF THE GOODS, YOU CAN APPLY FOR A REFUND AND DO NOT NEED TO RETURN THE GOODS. YOU CAN USE PAYPAL TO PAY AND PAYPAL WILL PROTECT YOUR MONEY.

So, I'm arguing my case to the seller now based on that statement, with pictures of the originally ordered product compared to the received product. If they don't reply it should be a quicker process for PayPal to resolve the issue in my favor, refunding the full amount paid.

Login to Me Too

kvanroon
Contributor
Contributor

"CAN APPLY FOR A REFUND AND DO NOT NEED TO RETURN THE GOODS. YOU CAN USE PAYPAL TO PAY AND PAYPAL WILL PROTECT YOUR MONEY."

Definitely highlight the above to PP. Their own site tells you that there's no need to return said item so therefore why should you be expected to send it back for a refund when it isn't required.

Login to Me Too

kvanroon
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot one thing;

The address given to me by the seller (<removed>, Bao'an District, Shenzhen, GUANGDONG Province 518000 China) does not exist. <removed> onwards does exist but not <removed>, etc. I got my company's office in Shanghai to check the address and they confirmed that it was fake.

Some details of my scammer and my Case ID which PP ruled in my favor (use my case ID as an example if your seller has the same name)

Case ID number: PP-007-105-928-734

Seller's name: LI <removed>

Login to Me Too

Vora
Contributor
Contributor

So responded to the seller via Paypal to say that the address is a scam and then raised an escalation with Paypal. Received notification this morning, that Paypal has closed the case as the seller has refunded the full cost. Apparently can take 30 days for the money to be credited back to the credit card but when I checked my paypal account, I can see the refund is showing in my transaction log.. so a positive result.

@Vora wrote:

I have just had exactly the same problem. I ordered from same website as you and paid via PayPal. I received a completely different product which is worth less than the return postage. The return address is :

<removed>,Bao'an District,Shenzhen,DUANGDONG,518000

which is completely different to the return address on the package itself. 

Raised a dispute in Paypal, the seller responded with

We’re sincerely sorry that our product can’t make you satisfied, you can return it to us if you want to. But please pay attention: 1.Please make sure the item and packing is intact. If it can’t meet our requests, we may not refund. 2. And, we only accept DHL or UPS as deliver method. Our return address:<removed>,Bao'an District,Shenzhen,DUANGDONG,518000

However, the cost of the return via DHL is $27 USD so adding more cost then what I have already been scammed with.  Why should I have to pay for return for something the seller sent incorrectly.

Did anyone get a successful resolution to this issue ?

Login to Me Too

DerekJC
Contributor
Contributor
When I explained to PayPal the cost of returning tracked from the UK to China was nearly as much as the cost of the item they offered me in a deal: I keep the item and get a partial refund, which meant I got 70% of my money back. Others, however, have received a complete refund from PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.