Hototin

disgusted2max
Contributor
Contributor

I believe I have been scammed by the this company Hototin.   I placed an order from them, and I do not have an order confirmation in my email.   I creadted an account so that I could track my order.....today I am locked out of my account, so now there is no way of tracking my status.   I clicked on the link to reset my password, and it said they would email me, and never have emailed me.    On the paypal transaction, it doesn't have the Hototin name....it's got Danielle <removed> in for the payment.    What, if anything can be done?

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

sweetlorraine
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed by Hototin as well.  Same scenario placed order, no order number, no contact at all.  All contact information on site is false and emails were returned as undeliverable.  Paypal has been helping me try to get a refund, but the hototin folks are sneaky and keep furnishing new UPS tracking numbers for delivered packages ( which UPS reports as "lost")  Do not deal with Hototin.com, it is pure scam.

Login to Me Too

chewy2473
Contributor
Contributor

I just got scammed by hototin for $99.50 for a weight set this website is a complete fraud site everything is phony the contact to number is no good the address is fake, fake tracking numbers,The name of there PayPal is Danielle <Removed> which I see she has multiple last names. I haven't even begun the refund process because there's no one to contact

Login to Me Too

disgusted2max
Contributor
Contributor
That’s the same person that my transaction was through...Danielle F. My transaction was also for 99.50 and PayPal sided with the seller because she provided a tracking number and it said delivered.....even though I never got a thing. It was a fake tracking number. I even spoke to my mailman and he said nothing was assigned to my address by that number. I made a complaint with IC3.gov. I suggest everyone to do the same. Hopefully we can get them shut down and they can’t scam anyone again. PayPal isn’t even letting me dispute their decision so I guess I’m out 99.50.
Login to Me Too

Swordmaker
New Community Member

Hototin is a scam site as near as I can find out. 

https://www.itisreviewed.com/hototin-reviews/

Has five reports at last count of people who have been similarly scammed by their shenanigans. I attempted to buy a model railroad device from them for slightly under $90 and they sent USPS tracking number which indicated I received it on my porch. I was home with my front door open with only a screen door between me and my porch. No delivery was made. I have two other families in my development with the same last name, so I waited to see if one of them had accidentally had the delivery made to their porch, a common occurrence as we all share the same street number, differing only in Unit numbers. Nope. I contacted Hototin’s email only to have the email bounce as undeliverable, and also called their customer support number only to find a busy signal no matter what time of day I called. I also contacted the email PayPal had for payment agent in RUSSIA (!)... no response from anyone.

For the first time in my decade long relationship with PayPal, the next day, PayPal had reached out to me to ask if I had received this product from Hototin. Strange. I discovered that Hototin’s physical address is NON-EXISTENT, with elements of both a US address and an Irish address. The Zip code for US has only four digits, yet it also claims to be in Derry Ireland and Reilly, New Hampshire, US. Had I noticed these things, which are all located below the screen, I would not have ordered.  It waddles, it quacks, and it has feathers... its a scamming duck. 

Login to Me Too

pmarks1
Contributor
Contributor

I realize now I was scammed by HOTOTIN.  It's just under $100 so not huge but very annoying.  Paypal DOES not make it easy to cancel a pending order even if it is fraud.  Neither does American Express.  So I think will cancel both my American Express account and my Paypal account since they are not of any benefit when I need them to protect me from bad actors.  Maybe it's good that I cancel both since I'm sure they wouldn't stand behind me if it was a really large order.  

Login to Me Too

linda3403
Contributor
Contributor

I just got off the phone with a PayPal rep regarding my claim for a refund from Hototin.com for an item that I never received ($81.00).  After a month of waiting on the claim, my claim was denied from PayPal because the seller had provided the tracking number which said it was delivered.  I called UPS about  the tracking number shortly after getting it a month ago and they said that my name and address was NOT the same information that was on their tracking (they could not provide that information but curiously it was "delivered" to an address in my same town).  Then I Googled Hototin and saw that this was considered either a scam website or at the least VERY unreliable.  The product I ordered had NOTHING to do with the items being sold on the website (clothing) but I figured that possibly the owner or someone in his family had this item and wanted to sell it personally.  STUPID ME!!  Anyway, after being denied by PayPal because the tracking provided by the seller said it was delivered, I was furious and was determined to fight this "decision." This morning I went through the PayPal website Dispute Center and selected the transaction of the dispute that they closed last night.  Then I went to the "contact us" info and found a phone number.  When selected, I was provided a 6 digit code that I was asked for when I placed the call (so all the information doesn't need to be repeated).  I was furious with the poor woman, but she reversed the decision and my $81.00 is being refunded So, PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP....FOLLOW UP WITH PAYPAL AND FIGHT IT.  IF NOT SUCCESSFUL THROUGH PAYPAL, CONTACT YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY DISPUTE THE CHARGE.  I had told the customer service rep that I was going to do that if she couldn't help me...maybe that added emphasis.  I also told her to go the PayPal community forum and see the other complaints about this website and that PayPal should NOT be allowing it to use it for a payment method.  I had thought that PayPal was a "safe" way to pay on a website that I was not familiar with.  Actually, after much communication and waiting, it turns out that it was.  But do NOT give up...you CAN get your money back if you persist.

Login to Me Too

Rodneydperkins
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for pushing and reporting this. I also bought something for $81 from them. Pretty common I guess. PayPal denied me like everyone else on here. Not sure why I use them if they offer no protection. I would have been better off using my credit card directly. I will continue to push like you did. Seems PayPal is a scam also.
Login to Me Too

linda3403
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think Pay Pal is a "scam, " just too big a company to really care about us little people! Like lots of big companies, their first action is to DENY your claim and hope that you just give up.  It is still better than using your credit card directly on sketchy internet sites where your card can easily be compromised.  Granted, your credit card company will respond faster to a disputed transaction, but very likely your card may need to be replaced if your info has also been compromised on these scammer sites. Please refer to my directions in my previous post about how to reach a live person at PayPal Customer Service.   Good luck and DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Gntlc
New Community Member

Add Me to the list. All the same scenarios. They used a Delong in Hong Kong thought. 

They did use a Ups Tracking number. But one I work for UPS as a driver two I have a ring  camera so it would show it being delivered and during the time they say it was delivered it was not. 3. I know the driver who delivers to my house and told him I was looking for a package so he would have made sure to tell me. 4 I am home on Worker comp and Fiancée who works right by the window ... 

But what I am going to do is get in touch with our Security because it is odd that they are able to use semi Valid tracking numbers to give to Paypal as though they have delivered. Knowing paypal will only see it was delivered in that town not the whole address.  Also this could hurt the driver as not delivered.. 

Right now I have caught it in the review stage but hopefully with all the information from me and what you all have said I can get my money back or at the least they stop letting these people use them as a source .. Although I am sure they probably are just changing the seller name as  to hide on paypal.. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.