Help!

Bec0149
Contributor
Contributor
My personal savings account was hacked and there is a $2500 debit today. I believe fraudster somehow obtained my savings account number and created a fake PayPal account. My PayPal account isnt tied to my savings and I don’t have any pending transactions. Already disputing with my financial institution, but wondering if I can take any action direct with PayPal?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Hemerk
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Bec0149 

I understand that the transaction is showing the debit on your Savings account. Is there a card associated with that account that may have been used by a family member or a friend you trust? There are cases when a card is entered online for a purchase. It just so happened that the website is using PayPal to process orders from their customers. This causes the debit to appear with PayPal's name on your statement. We call such payments as guest payments.

We definitely allow our customers to file an unauthorized claim against a transaction if it is showing on your PayPal account under Activity

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-report-an-unauthorized-transaction-or-account-a...

Hope this helps!

Kudos and Solved are highly appreciated.

Login to Me Too

Bec0149
Contributor
Contributor
I do not have my personal debit card tied to my savings account. I do have a PayPal account, but my PayPal account does not have any recent activity. No family or friendly fraud here. I’m very cautious and work in the debit card industry. Can I report this through PayPal even though my personal account is in good standing? It’s like someone created their own PayPal account, but somehow tied it back to my savings account. Thank you so much for the reply.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.