Hawalili Scam

LCBENZ
Contributor
Contributor

After receiving many advertisements from this vendor, mostly selling Hawaiian style shirts for men (I live in Florida where they are a staple garment), I decided to purchase a few items. The pricing was right and the styles attractive. However, when I went to the shopping cart I noticed that shipping costs were somewhat excessive, but I dismissed it as just part of the overall pricing policy. Reluctantly, I didn’t do an internet search on the vendor to gauge the experience of other buyers. When I did, after the actual purchase, I was not pleased:

- The apparel “shop” is actually in China

- It appears that garments are not even made until you place an order, and after your PayPal account is charged (a violation of Visa/MC rules)

- The high shipping costs represent air freight from China to the U.S.

- The site seems to employ an army of internet trolls posting phony “reviews” online to counter their selling practices 

- Three weeks later, nothing received

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

Harpreetbrar
New Community Member

we had ordered 5 items on line in the beginning of may 2021 and we received only 3 items on may 24th and guess what..! there XL size fits my 8 years old boy and there L size didn't fit me or my Son for whom it was ordered.There XL size is like Small size in USA and L size is even smaller.once i wrote em back for the refund,someone named Ariel replied back saying the Items has to be in the original package and they want us to pay for the Return post to China or they want us to keep the items and Get a discount on Next order of $109 or more..Now what are we gonna do with Shirts we received in wrong sizes..:(
So basically they just want to trap you in their network and keep shopping from their website an don't ask for Refund for the items they have shipped wrong sizes.Just be careful when you place your order with them or you will lose your money..:(Just go to walmart and shop instead

Login to Me Too

michaels2112
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand how this company (hawalili) is able to operate with such dishonorable business practices.  I have been on two trusted review sites (site------, trust-----,) and somehow they are able to garnish glowing reviews;  I believe these reviews are fake and misleading and give the consumer confidence to trust this company to do the honorable thing.

Login to Me Too

LA_Jake
Contributor
Contributor

If I knew where they have reviews posted I would gladly go there and post my negative review of these scammers.

Login to Me Too

Skip88

It seems that I have also been defrauded by Hawalili.  I ordered 6 shirts.  Two came in the first shipment and they were fine.  The remaining four shirts came later and were labeled as XL, however they were actually L, or maybe even M. 

Their first response response was: 

"Sorry that you are not satisfied with the item(s).

Considering the high returning shipping fee, we found it is not worthwhile to return the product for the problem. We would like to offer you a partial 20% refund cash refund for the items in question as compensation and you keep them or 30% OFF code for the next order over USD100. What do you think?"

My response was: 

"As I originally stated, 4 of the shirts (the second delivery) were not size XL even though they were labeled as such.

If the shirts had been sized right, then I would be keeping them.   Since they do not fit, I do not want to keep them, as I have no need for undersized merchandise.

Please refund the money for these four shirts and send the shipping label for same.  If you don’t want the shirts back, I will donate them to charity, but I still expect my money back."

Their response: 

"Sorry that you are not satisfied with the item(s). Actually, we shipped correct size per your request.  

If you would like to keep the item(s) and skip the return hassle, we'd love to improve the compensation rate to be 35% cash refund for the items in question as compensation and you keep them or 40% OFF code for the next order over USD149. This is the most refund we can offer. Pls so kind check and let us know your decision?"

My response was:

"I ordered 6 shirts last month and received them in two shipments, apparently from different manufacturers. The first two shirts arrived and were fine. Later, I received another shipment containing the remaining 4 shirts. I immediately notified your company that the 4 shirts were the wrong size. They were labeled as XL, but they were obviously L or M. At first your company wanted to offer me a discount if I accepted the shirts that did not fit me, explaining that you had determined that the shipping charges would not be too expensive. I then notified you that it would make absolutely on sense at all to keep merchandise that I could not use. Then you finally approved my refund if I returned your merchandise and pay for the shipping myself. This is totally unacceptable. I ordered merchandise from you on good faith that you would deliver what I ordered. You failed to deliver the proper merchandise and are now asking me to pay for your error. Because you failed to fulfill your obligations, I will be contacting The PayPall Purchase Protection Program on Monday, June 28th to notify them of your breach of contract. I will also be sending them the complete details, including all email correspondence between myself and your company as if relates to this fraud. If I do not receive my refund from you before Monday, June 28th I will not only be notifying PayPal, but also the media that you are using to advertise your products. I am trusting that you will take the honorable and sensible action. I will be happy to return the shirts at your expense once I receive the refund."

Their response:

"Sorry that you are not satisfied with the item(s). Actually, we shipped correct size per your request. 

If you would like to keep the item(s) and skip the return hassle, we'd love to improve the compensation rate to be 35% cash refund for the items in question as compensation and you keep them or 40% OFF code for the next order over USD149. This is the most refund we can offer. Pls so kind check and let us know your decision?"

I am not giving up, and will send a new response to them today.  I will post their reply here on this venue.

Login to Me Too

km372

I wish I had seen this discussion before I ordered from them.  The clothes I ordered were also too small, and they make no effort to remedy the situation.  Caveat emptor.   

Login to Me Too

LCBENZ
Contributor
Contributor

So I was one of the first to report on this vendor. I wasn’t as focused on keeping up a fight, so I eventually threw out the shirts - couldn’t even use them as polishing rags for my cars. It’s apparent that the Chinese “shop” doesn’t accept Visa/MC as it would subject them to a different set of payment rules than PayPal, which apparently has none. One can easily reverse an unfavorable experience on a credit card, but PP…..not!

Best of luck resolving your issue, but I learned a little more now about shopping online with unknown, but heavily hyped, vendors disguised as a domestic supplier. The amazing thing is that they’re still functioning as usual and the complete lack of support from our home-grown, payment conglomerate, PayPal. Corporate money always rules a market, ethics doesn’t. We continue to send jobs, profits, and American ingenuity overseas - with big corporations leading the charge.

Login to Me Too

samsj
Contributor
Contributor

This company's business slogan should be, "We already got your money so **bleep** you!"  I bought 3 shirts from Hawalili and have received two of three.  Almost nothing they say is true.  The material is not cotton blend at all but is instead nylon or some other manmade fiber and SUPER thin.  What really got me though was the sizing.  One shirt was so small I couldn't even close it to button it!  I clicked on the return button of the tracking page and received an email saying they would give me a 15% refund.  I wrote them back asking where I could return it for a full refund and was told I would have to send it to China, pay customs fees, postage, and there was a LONG list of do's and don'ts on labeling, packing, etc.  They upped the refund percentage to 25% if I kept the shirt.  I took the 25% because it was clear that I would NEVER get a full refund.  Total ripoff and why does PayPal continue to do business with them?  Disgusted!!!!

Login to Me Too

Johnnyrokken
New Community Member

After not having my Hawalili shirts two months after ordering them I found this paypal complaint page and accepted that I had been scammed. Too many great patterns to be true! Then I got my shirts. They looked exactly like the mocked up ads and fit great! Place your order and be patient.

Login to Me Too

LA_Jake
Contributor
Contributor

Another “new member” with only 1 post which promotes this sham? Seems a little suspicious to me 🤔

Login to Me Too

Knwags
New Community Member
I’m so thankful for the original post on this. I ordered the MLB Hawaiian shirt for my husband through Facebook….company claims they’ve mailed it but there’s no valid tracking number….and it’s been 30 days with no merchandise.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.