Having to pay postage to return a useless item to a supplier running a blatant scam

Schulzey
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed by a Chinese company called Powerls who didn't send what I ordered and refused to rectify it. I started a claim via Paypal and was eventually advised that I could get a refund if I returned the goods with tracking. The goods that were sent to me were pretty much worthless and the cost for me to return them is almost half of what I paid in the first place. There are numerous complaints about powerls on trustpilot and other websites (which I didn't know about when I ordered) and it is obvious that they are fraudsters engaging in blatant false advertising. I can't believe that Paypal allow them to continue trading on their platform and require me to pay more to get my money back for goods that are worthless. I would have thought that the return postage would be the responsibility of the supplier seeing as it is their mistake, not mine. I'm not happy!!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@Schulzey 

Australia Post has tracking feature on standard items.

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-overseas/international-standard

Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

Schulzey
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that's what I used. It's only small amounts but it makes my blood boil that I should have to pay more to get money back from a scammer!

Login to Me Too

FerdTurgeson
New Community Member

Paypal is giving me the same run around about being required to return an obviously bait and switch purchase that I made through Facebook and felt protected since I made the payment through Paypal.  I cannot get any satisfaction through Paypal since they are telling me the same baloney about needing to return the items to the seller and provide a tracking number.  Once the merchandise is supposedly received by the seller - Paypal will issue my refund - which I have a better chance of becoming the next pope.  I am contacting Discover and requesting a charge back to Paypal and then Paypal can sort it out.  I'm very disappointed with this Paypal customer service episode.  Paypal must be in bed with these fraud Chinese sellers?    

Login to Me Too

Fluff63
New Community Member

I get it. I bought a watch and one of the main reasons I got it was they used PayPal so I thought I would be safe. I was supposed to get a Samsung g3 but what I got was a dollar store watch. When I complained and went to PayPal all they said was well you got a watch so denied me protection. I asked them if they ordered a Rolex and got a Casio would that be fine because they’re both watches ? Seems to me PayPal now only cares about the money and **bleep** the customer. 

Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor
Dispute as item not as described for a full refund. Warn everyone not to buy anything thru Social Media. Report any ad you see as suspicious. I do this now.
Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

Schulzey
Contributor
Contributor
The annoying thing is that Powerls is still running their fraudulent projector ad and PayPal is still letting them trade on their platform. They know all about it and so are in some ways complicit in the scam.
Login to Me Too

Schulzey
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal even state that they will only grant the refund when the scammers report that the goods I returned have been received. So if the scammers are true to their dishonest form and say nothing was received then I get no refund. Who’s side is PayPal on?!!
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I just found this thread and I can't beleive this return shipping scam has been around since January. So it's been at least 8 months, and what has PayPal done to curtail this scam? Not a damn thing! Make one to wonder if PayPal gets kickback from these scumbags.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.