Have Others Had this Deceptive Scheme?

EdMcD
New Community Member

I recently bought a backup camera for my car.  It was supposed to be solar powered and would broadcast to my phone inside the car.  It was $29.90 with free shipping from China.  What arrived was a backup camera that had to be wired into my car's brake system and I had to supply a screen.  Not what was advertised. I immediately connected PayPal since that was how I had paid and they gave me a case number and they would investigate.  The company said I would get a refund if I shipped it back to them with a tracking number.  The US Post Office said the cheapest way to send it would be $42.  Other carriers were even more.  PayPal informed me I lost my case because I did not supply the tracking number to the company.  The deceptive company won.  They shipped me something cheap knowing that the expense of return would prevent them from having to refund my money.  Have others had this same experience?  Can and should PayPal take a role in stopping this?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EdMcD wrote:

I recently bought a backup camera for my car.  It was supposed to be solar powered and would broadcast to my phone inside the car.  It was $29.90 with free shipping from China.  What arrived was a backup camera that had to be wired into my car's brake system and I had to supply a screen.  Not what was advertised. I immediately connected PayPal since that was how I had paid and they gave me a case number and they would investigate.  The company said I would get a refund if I shipped it back to them with a tracking number.  The US Post Office said the cheapest way to send it would be $42.  Other carriers were even more.  PayPal informed me I lost my case because I did not supply the tracking number to the company.  The deceptive company won.  They shipped me something cheap knowing that the expense of return would prevent them from having to refund my money.  Have others had this same experience?  Can and should PayPal take a role in stopping this?

It’s a racket. PayPal cannot stop it. You have to return for refund. When you buy from Chinese sellers, you have to decide if something goes wrong, are you willing to walk away from the cash. The Chinese do not believe in returns to be honest. In that culture, you bought it, it is yours, this returns business is a western cultural custom. As a disclosure, I myself am Chinese. Not mainland though.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.