Have I been scammed? (tax ID number, problem)

write_barbara
Contributor
Contributor

Good morning,

I got an email last night, purporting to be from PayPal. The header reads: "Resolve the issue with your Tax ID Number"

When I first opened my account, some 13 years ago, I used, and continue to use, my Social Security Number. I don't have a Tax ID Number

I have had no problems until now. The email tells me to provide the "correct TAX ID number to meet the new January 2022 IR requirement and avoid disruption with your account."

Then, there is a blue "resolve it now" button.

Thank you,

Barbara

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@write_barbara 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK OR ANY PHONE NUMBER.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

Also if they ask you to call the number in the email then it would be fake paypal agents trying to scam you for money to 'fix' something. 

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email / download an attachment OR phone them on a number in an email, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@write_barbara 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK OR ANY PHONE NUMBER.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

Also if they ask you to call the number in the email then it would be fake paypal agents trying to scam you for money to 'fix' something. 

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email / download an attachment OR phone them on a number in an email, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

write_barbara
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much! This is the first time anything like this has happened to me here. 

Login to Me Too

dawndsquirrel
Contributor
Contributor
I got this message as well. This one is VERY sophisticated. The address looks right, the logo is there, they have my name listed at the top. There’s even a block of text about how they are committed to fighting phishing! But when I log in to my account — NOT from their link! — there is no message about needing to do this. This message thread is the first I’ve found after looking for about an hour, searching snopes, and generally trying to confirm that it’s bogus. The only thing that tells me is that PayPal would not send me something and tell me to resolve it by clicking a blue button in an email. And if it were true, there would have been a Message in my actual PayPal account and there isn’t. So I am concluding that it’s fake, and I forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com But really, this one is VERY DIFFICULT to spot, and most of the usual tells do not work. Thanks for your help.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dawndsquirrel 

Check raw header text of the email against a real PayPal email. If you see some gibberish, spammy looking email, it is fake.

There is new IRS rules, the 1099-K threshold will soon be federally lowered to $600, from $20k and doing away with minimum  transaction level enacted in a provision in the recently enacted American Rescue Plan Act. So PayPal is requesting confirmation of tax ID (SSN,EIN, or ITIN) but always log on directly at PayPal site to check your account instead of clicking links to be on the safe side, folks.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

dawndsquirrel
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker  Any idea WHERE I am supposed to find the Tax ID spot to make sure I have it up today on the PayPal site directly? I looked via both mobile and laptop browsers and it just wasn't clear to me where I'd find it. Thanks. 

Login to Me Too

FarmerGeorgie
New Community Member

Shoot! I just got this too. It asked me to click on the resolve button to enter my info.  I did and then I got a message that the information had been updated. I didn't actually enter any info, I just clicked on the resolve button....

I am wondering if I should change my paypal password! 

Login to Me Too

dawndsquirrel
Contributor
Contributor

@FarmerGeorgie  I am curious as well. Have you found anything out? If you aren't sure, you might want to change your password just in case... 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.