Has anyone successfully gotten a refund from a billing agreement?

Brittlea
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all. So I purchased some wine last month not realizing it was a subscription. I know, dumb on my part for not reading the fine print. I got an email from PayPal last night about a $70 processing payment for the wine. I tried to contact the company and could not reach anyone so I called PayPal and asked to cancel the order. They said they couldn't cancel a processing order, but that they could open up an unauthorized transaction case. I agreed, but also tried to contact the company again today. I figured if they can cancel it then I can stop the case. The company told me there was nothing they could do to cancel and that I can refuse the box when it comes, but I'll be charged a restocking fee anywhere from $20-$70. Has anyone successfully gotten a refund from PayPal even though you had technically agreed to a billing agreement? Thanks for your help

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brittlea

Truthfully, I very much doubt Paypal will help you. Not sure who the idiot was that said you could open an unauthorised transaction dispute as that is just telling Paypal that your Paypal account was hacked and used without your consent, as it was a subscription that clearly is not the fact and the dispute will be denied.

However IF you funded that Paypal payment via a credit card (in my opinion you should always do so), then contact your card issuer for a chargeback BUT they may refuse as again it was a subscription.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Brittlea
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks, that's what I figured. I was surprised when she said she could open a case; I thought maybe it was just their normal procedures. I'm hoping the company decides to just cancels it b.c of all the hassle
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brittlea

Good luck !

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.