Hacked on paypal wont refund

lukacvijetic
New Community Member

So at 3PM someone hacked my paypal somehow even tho i do change my password 6 times a year just because of safety and because i've lost a lot before on other platforms. 

A total of 20.00EURO and 19.99EURO was used on a dating app called Badoo. And a lot more on other stuff that i did get refunded. 

I filed for a ticket and they denied my refund claim. I've even contacted badoo support on email and im considering calling them aswell.. 

Can someone please help me understand why this is happening and what happened.

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

PayPal_JonK

Hello @lukacvijetic,

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear your dispute was recently denied, I can understand how concerning this is. When a transaction is reported as unauthorized, we look for several things that would indicate the transaction was in fact unauthorized. During this investigation period, if we are unable to find sufficient evidence that shows it was unauthorized, we most likely will close the claim and not refund the transaction. 

Reaching out to the merchant next to see if they can process a refund isn't a bad idea. Next, we recommend reaching out to your funding source to see what options they may be able to offer. 

I hope this helps a bit, have a great day!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

katiedinner
Contributor
Contributor
The same thing happened to me on October 27, 2019. Someone hacked my account and sent themselves 5 payments of $199 USD. total amount Canadian was $1,350. I immediately told PayPal and they said they would stop the payments. 3 days later, PayPal takes all my money and let’s it send to the hackers, and now they won’t refund my money. I’m out so much money and they are acting incredibly sketchy. Very concerning for a large company... they won’t even get back to me.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @katiedinner,

I'm sorry to hear bout the unauthorized access. PayPal cannot stop the bank's transfer of the funds that were requested. PayPal can and does investigate the activity and gets the funds back to you in a situation where unauthorized activity is found. I regret that you've experienced this frustrating situation.

Has the case been decided yet? Have the funds been returned to you?

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

katiedinner
Contributor
Contributor
I have been calling and calling, and have had not an ounce of help from anyone in PayPal. everyone pretends as if it’s the first time I’m calling about this headache of a case. Only 3/5 of the fraudulent payments have been returned to me. In regards to the other two, my bank’s fraud department has been notified to chase up on this with PayPal and it’s been escalated to the second level. That’s how bad this whole thing has been. I am Missing $540 and I have to pay bills, pay rent, feed my kids. This is ridiculous. I have never felt so lost with a massive company. I can’t wait to close my PayPal account. All of my friends are closing their accounts because PayPal can’t be trusted. It blows my mind that a company like this would take sides with the hacker and not with their own customer. Disgusting. On top of that - PayPal had a security breach and didn’t even notify their customers. This all could have been avoided if I had known to change my password. Again - disgusting.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @katiedinner,

I'm sorry that only 3/5 of the payments have been returned. Were they returned through the PayPal process or through disputes with your bank? If disputes were opened through your bank, PayPal would not be able to act further and would have to wait for the bank disputes to resolve.

I know you believe that the password was compromised due to a breach at PayPal. If there had been a breach, that would have been disclosed to our customers. Passwords are often compromised through many other means. If you've clicked a fraudulent link and logged in, or supplied information to a phishing email, or if you have malware on your computer, or if your wireless network has been compromised, or if you've used your same email and password combination on a less secure site that was compromised, or even if you've accessed your account from a public place where someone was able to watch you type your password, these are all opportunities for passwords to become compromised. Please make sure that the new password that you are using is a unique one that is not used on any other sites, and please check your computers and devices with virus scans. Those are a couple of the ways that you can help protect yourself against unauthorized use of any of your accounts on any site.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

katiedinner
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal wouldn't refund me from the get go, so I had NO other option than to involve my bank because paypal is acting in such a childish and ridiculous way.  This has caused me such a hassle with my life these past few weeks and I can't believe it's still going on. My bank was FINALLY able to get something and were able to refund my two final unauthorized payments, but of course, paypal is now saying I have a negative balance of those two payments. What an absolute joke. As if I owe you guys any money at all.  You literally stole all of it, wouldn't refund all of it, FINALLY refund it, and now say I owe YOU?! Garbage. Can't wait to  close my account.

Also, I am not to blame here. To say that it's my fault that I clicked on a link or something like that is just insulting. I am very secure in all my passwords, so please don't try to blame me on this one. This is on you guys.  Thanks. 

Login to Me Too

lucianm
Contributor
Contributor

It happened yesterday for me. I informed Pay pal through Resolution Center  and now everything is blocked.

Call center operators are not available now  so no one is helping.

I asked what are the clear steps to solve the problem but nothing.

Very very poor support offered by paypal

Login to Me Too

MartynE1
Contributor
Contributor
Same has happened to me I live in Uk yet this was done in Euros the address is in Latvia my name at top I never keep much money in the account hooked up they tried 2 times on higher amounts it finally went through at the 56 euros to sports direct there saying there nothing dodgy so I order something to myself in a country I’ve never been to in middle of a global pandemic and I to are well aware how to keep my accounts secure as I build computers for a living PayPal will not admit to being hacked and protect merchants & hackers not us the customers as to them the merchants are there real customers took them 1 day to close my case my Bank said they can see someone has had hold of my PayPal account yet PayPal can’t there just disgusting I used to see the symbol and think safe after past 3 days I’m left wanting PayPal closed as it’s unfit to handle money
Login to Me Too

plz_help
Contributor
Contributor

I feel your pain - Let's keep this thread alive !!!!

Compromised hacked, fraud, suspicious activity on my account - informed PayPal - refuse to help ????

This is Day 15 of waiting messaging online chat, sending emails and basically burning up my time and not earning
Been a loyal PayPal customer for over 10 years 

I noticed strange activity on my account on the 7th August.  (now 22nd August and no further forward) 

I reported a problem immediately as 3 transactions had gone out of my account in the space of 30 minutes and pinged on my mobile phone, since transpires that further transactions have gone out plus a bank transfer to PayPal that I have been told by your agents, I don't know where I'm at, how safe I am or how they got past your security as I alone have the password. So they must have requested and got a reset.
I could not get through on the phone to inform PayPal (tried 14 times) so logged it on message chat. I am a business eBay user that has been locked out of my PayPal account and my email address (Microsoft refuse to help, reset password for my email changed to one in India and will not let me in), I had to make a new PayPal account so I can still trade and managed to use the same email (after it was removed or changed on the old account) and changed password with 2 step verification on it.
I have spoken to an agent once on the 17th or 18th but the call went dead after she left me on hold to speak to someone, I tried calling her back in Dublin by couldn't get through so I requested a call back through chat and told 24-48 hrs, they haven't called me.
I have been with you for over 10 years and this is the first issue I have had and the customer service hasn't been the greatest to be honest, spoke to a dozen agents on chat, fraud department supposed to contact me within 72 hrs from the first day (7th) and no call received.
All I would like is my old account closing, a PayPal statement so I can see what has happened, and funds either sent to my bank or to my new PayPal and the restrictions lifting from my new account (I have done all the checks etc) so that I am able to trade more efficiently please. Surely can't be that difficult, PayPal have my IP address, bank account details, Passport photo address landline and mobile number for both accounts old and new and all are the same up to 2pm on the 7th August on the old account.
It has been going on for 15 days now and nobody will call me after saying they will and I message everyday and only get a reply on chat at approx 3am at the most inconvenient time as to not get a response.
How can we get this sorted ?

I have tried calling, sent emails, contacted through message chat, messaged through Facebook and even opened a Twitter account and still nothing getting done or even contacting me. 

I have tens of thousands feedback across two eBay accounts with 100% positive feedback, all sales go through PayPal and in turn PayPal have had a chunk from me.

Why would this simple problem not be addressed, my (the PayPal loyal customer) be kept informed ?

Just on the off chance that any PayPal employee that sees this feels that they could help me, which would be appreciated and could forward this message to the right department the case number is case number is PP-I-10937203 

The first 3 transactions apparently have been refunded to my PayPal account I can't get access to - the rest I don't know yet ???

My mobile number is on my old account, new account, every chat message, emails that I have sent, Facebook message, Twitter message etc etc

No replies from any of them. Happy to lock your account keep your money and let you sit there pulling your hair.

Tried every method I can think of to get help sorting this, so anywhere else please reply to this thread 

Short of seeking legal advice I don't know what else I can do ?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.