Hacked PayPal Account Won’t Refund

anusan_g
New Community Member
Hi, recently I was talking to someone on an app about buying a phone but I never sent them any form of payment. After the person stopped replying I went to sleep. When I awoke I seen a friends and family payment was made from my PayPal account to someone who had the same username as the person I was talking to. I thought maybe I mistakenly sent this person money and forgot about it because I was up late that night. So when I went to contact that person for a refund but they blocked me from all contact. I filed a dispute saying I was scammed because at that moment I legitimately thought I just made a really big mistake and that I was scammed out of my money but PayPal denied the dispute. At this point I lost all hope. But then when I woke up the next morning I had gotten numerous emails stating that I had done multiple bank transfers and changed my password numerous times which I did not do. So then I realized I was actually hacked and not scammed. I reported this to PayPal and they confirmed my account had unauthorized activity on it but only refunded the bank transfers and not the friends and family payment. I contacted them and asked why am I still being charged for this and they said it is because I initiated the transaction. How can you say I was the one that initiated the transaction when you guys just confirmed my account was hacked. How can you refund 2 of the transactions but then say oh yeah but for this transaction you know the most damaging one? Yeah we can’t refund that. How does that make any sense? You guys just confirmed my account was hacked and you’re still charging me. This is unfair and absolutely disgusting. They told me to go to my bank and do a chargeback but I’ve done research online and people say that PayPal will ask for the money back in the future because the transaction was done through friends and family. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.