Hacked FB Ads account, PayPal no help

CHROMATICQ50
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email this morning that there were two Facebook ads charged to my PayPal account. In reviewing the charges, I discovered that someone got access to my account and put in 8 ads using my Facebook ads manager with limits of about $6,000 per ad. Two of these ads already charged my account today, 11/20/2019, at $25 a pop.

I called PayPal to un-authorize my PayPal account from Facebook and changed my passwords for both PayPal and my Facebook account. I also was able to log in and change the ads from being active to inactive but have not deleted them until Facebook has resolved this. 

I put in a dispute with PayPal for both charges but they denied it, even though I never authorized Facebook to make those charges, I did give FB authorization to link to my PayPal account. And their resolution is to go at Facebook for a refund. Yet Facebook has no direct way to contact them by either phone, online chat with a live human or email that goes to a direct department for unauthorized charges. The only thing you can do is send a message via their support page with no communication that someone has seen your message or that there will be someone getting back with you. 

I don't know if there is anything that can be done from a community chat unless someone can provide a direct line to a Facebook ads team. Maybe this is more to vent. But I find it wrong that a business can accept payments for services and not offer a way for customers to contact them if there are issues with their account. 

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Stoked247
New Community Member
Hello Did you ever get this resolved? This has happened to me today but to the tune of £600. PayPal have denied my claim and it is impossible to find a direct contact for the advert team at Facebook.
Login to Me Too

CHROMATICQ50
Contributor
Contributor

I did, but not from PayPal. I had to remove my payment method from FB and cancel the ads they created. I complained to FB via their account on messenger with no help. I ended up making a complaint on the Better Business Bureau's web site against them and surprisingly I had the money refunded within a few days. PayPal is useless for this type of fraud and will not help. Facebook is even more useless, but that is another rant.  

Login to Me Too

ordinarymedia
New Community Member

Hi  @CHROMATICQ50 and @Stoked247  I'm a  reporter with BuzzFeed News.  I'm interested in hearing more about what happened to you with these Facebook ads. Could you contact me directly at craig.silverman at buzzfeed dot com? You can also reach me via the contact form on my personal website: craigsilverman.ca. Thanks!

Login to Me Too

aart2000
Contributor
Contributor

I had hackers remove me as an admin to my business FB page so I'm unable to stop any fraudulent ads. But, I can't see how the hackers get their money. If they go through my ads manager, the ads run and Paypal charges my account. It seems to me the hackers are getting into PayPal for the account information and having the money sent directly to them, not FB. My question is how did they get into my Paypal account? Now I want to know how, or what, I need to do to stop this. I have no access to my FB page to take the Paypal payment out. Do I close Paypal all together? Do I change my account #, Do I close my bank account and open a new one? I've contacted FB several times, but in the meantime, the hackers could be doing more damage. I've disputed the charges with Paypal and they have blocked any further charges from FB.

Login to Me Too

Reneesunday
New Community Member

My Facebook was hacked and the hacker changed the email address associated with my account effectively making it impossible for me to access the account.  I have sent Facebook my photo ID and requested login to my correct email address so that I can dispute the charges.  Currently I am out $500.00 Unable to contact Facebook I filed a complaint with PayPal and PayPal said that the charge was authorized sp I have no recourse with them.  What am I going to do about it?  I guess first I will discontinue use of PayPal for any and all transactions.  Secondly, I froze my bank account to stop any payments from my bank to PayPal.  Next I will hope that Facebook sends me a login to access my account so that I can file a dispute on these charges. Also, from a previous post I see that others have contacted the Better Business Bureau…hope that helps.

Login to Me Too

golivas
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me. I was curious if you ever got your FB account back? I've been waiting since Dec 28. PayPal denied my dispute twice, now my bank is trying to get my money back.

Login to Me Too

JACKZ4
New Community Member
This just happened to me... I was hacked through my Facebook business account, Facebook ads were charged to my PayPal which I did not approve, paypal did not find this unauthorized yet whatever the hackers were doing also caused my Facebook to be disabled. Now I'm out money, my Facebook is disabled and paypal is no help. I had to change all my banking and been through hell the past week, but guess what paypal doesn't care. What an awful experience.
Login to Me Too

KevinDE
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same issue as JACKZ4 please is there anyway to solve that?

Login to Me Too

Prada2
This just happened to me yesterday ;( I guess I won’t get my money back
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.