Hacked 2021?

Courtr8914
Contributor
Contributor
Just curious if anyone else feels their paypal account was hacked in January 2021? Two unauthorized 2K + purchase January 2021
Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21

robkha
Contributor
Contributor

had taken over $221 taken from my account for Cd.keysm some one brought games. i never clicked on any link or anything. this happened out of the blue after almost 10 years of using paypal. Paypal reassure me that i was secured and will not get money taken out of my account, but yesterday they still took out money from my bank, i am so annoyed.

Login to Me Too

chandmohumaad
Contributor
Contributor

Greensleeves414
Contributor
Contributor
Same. Had two attempted charges on my PayPal debit card. Thankfully nothing on my saved credit cards or bank account. I've removed all my info for the time being. Customer service has been extremely frustrating the entire time. The first agent gave me some stock answer and said to call in. Surprise surprise, they don't handle debit card issues over the phone. Two messages later, I finally had a breakdown of the attempted charges. Keep an eye on your stuff, PayPal sure isn't.
Login to Me Too

Mistajonz
New Community Member
Yup, and again this morning on the wife’s account. Someone added a new debit card from a bank I’ve never even heard of this morning.
Login to Me Too

tmconway
Contributor
Contributor
This just happened to me last week. First charge was $50 purchase for Litecoin. Then another purchase came through for $779, was like wtheck... I went directly to my PP account and seen was all real. So my whole $56 gone and $772 was being charged thru my bank. I called bank and had to pay $25 to stop payment for unauthorized payment coming thru. And went to bank and filed a form. And I filed disputes on PP also for both unauthorized. Talking to Customer service is worthless as they can't understand that problem. I said in one message that it came from inside there system and I too was told they are secure. Well that's funny because I read an article stating that they been told about this hacking problem but it has not been fixed other wise we would not be taking about here.... I just want money back and thinking about closing account.
Login to Me Too

Temp20210328d
Contributor
Contributor

Happened to me within a couple of hours of making a purchase from a Chinese supplier www.lapsun.com a charge to the same card that I used, via Paypal, for the very random amount of $1,451.39 from a CA company for "Professional Services". I immediately disputed the charge with my bank. It's been reversed. But STRANGELY, PayPal can find no record of the transaction. Yeah, I believe the Chinese have implemented a man-in-the-middle attack, between payments originating the US and Chinese-based firms.

Login to Me Too

Greensleeves414
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal customer service is too busy keeping people from being able to securely access their own accounts and pay their bills to actually help when there's a concern. Over the past couple of weeks, I've been arguing (I use the term loosely, as I don't consider receiving mostly pre-written replies as an actual conversation) with customer service. After the hack attempt on my PP debit card and seeing how little they did to help, I removed all payment methods from my account. The time to pay my PP credit bill rolls around, so I try to re-link my bank just long enough to pay it. I need to verify my phone number to re-link, but it says this number type is "not valid". No matter what I do, they won't accept my cell. After days of alternatingly snarky and pre-written, nonsense responses, they say the phone number can't be entered because it's in my boyfriend's name. They had no other suggestions as to how to link my bank, so suggested I open a new PayPal account to help. (Makes sense, right? /s) 

The good news is, the payments CAN be made over the phone using a debit card. It's just a hassle and very inconvenient. I plan on paying off my credit account and never using their services again. What used to be a solid, reputable company has turned into a nightmare that has no care for their customers or what they need. 

PS, anyone who can tell me how to speak to an actual human via phone - I'll send you a batch of cookies. 

Login to Me Too

Agdumoul
Contributor
Contributor

The same problem happened this June 16, in Brussels, to my daughter, and she complains of the same lack of understanding by Paypal. They have set a payment order on her PP account and she has to block it from the Bank, because paypal considers as legit the hacker's operation

Login to Me Too

VicE79
New Community Member
Yeah this has totally happened to me not once but twice by two different so called companies. Never gave a company name for the second charge. First charge was from some company claiming I signed up for a counseling service and charged $19.95 USD per month. This happened twice before I got the bank involved. Second time was a different company which never gave a company name and this time was for $39.99 USD. Immediately filed a dispute with my bank. Removed all bank info from PayPal acct. Will be closing my PayPal credit acct as soon as I pay it off. Ridiculous. With everything going on you would figure they would have better security measures in place.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.