HELP!

Richard-27
Contributor
Contributor

On June 14th, I followed a FaceBook link selling a 9.8" - 4K Full Touch Screen Streaming Media Dual Lens Rear View Mirror/Dash Cam, and placed my order, using PayPal to pay $59.98USD, which equated to $80.00CAD. I was immediately sent a email, describing the item purchased and confirming that payment had been received. Then, a following email was received saying the item had been shipped.

I received the package on June 28th from CanadaPost. It was labeled from the originating sender, China Post. What I got was a smaller rear view mirror that was NOT full touch screen, but had a 4" partial video screen.  Also advertised as "Included" was a cabled separate rear view camera, a GPS Module a 2 sets of different sized mounting straps. As well, the company (Hotrait) showed in their advertising page "Free Gift: 64GB TF Card ONLY TODAY!".  NONE of this was included, other than only one set of mounting straps.

I immediately went to the Hotrait.com website and notified Live Chat of the product mixup. I waited for a response... and waited and waited. No response!

Next, I sent a complaint email. No response! I sent a second email, stating that if would continue to be ignored, I would demand a refund through PayPal. No response!

On June 30th, I contacted PayPal and they set up a case for me. The seller was given until July 20th to resolve the issue.

On July 3rd, the seller responded to my complaint made through PayPal, stating:

Dear Customer, We’re sincerely sorry that our product can’t make you satisfied, you can return it to us if you want to. But please pay attention: 1.Please make sure the item and packing is intact. If it can’t meet our requests, we may not refund. 2. And, we only accept DHL or UPS as deliver method. Our return address: 1st floor, <removed>, New Territories, HK 999077

I checked the UPS Shipping Rate Calculator, and it will cost me $190.14 (almost 2.5 times the purchase price) to return the incorrect item! 

I wrote back saying that I had purchased the correct item with "Free shipping", and with this being their error, the package needed to be sent back on their account, as I would not pay! That was two days ago, and still NO RESPONSE!

Is there any way to:

1) Have PayPal retract and refund my payment sooner, without giving the seller three weeks to hold onto my money?

2) Put pressure on PayPal to eliminate the PayPal use privilege from sellers suspected of being fraudulent? To return it, I would be out-of-pocket $270, and have absolutely nothing! And would have to trust the company that continually ignores me!

Does anyone here agree that the seller intentionally sends buyers cheaper, incomplete products, knowing that most dissatisfied customers could not be bothered going after a refund, with all the hassles and high costs of using their specified couriers? 

Is it possible that I am denied a refund, based on Hotrait not receiving their incorrect/incomplete product return?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Richard-27

Your best bet is to read up on paypal buyer protection before you start buying so you know what is and what is not offered.
In the event of a dispute you nearly always have to return the item back to the seller so you bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Personally I don't follow Facebook links to dodgy Chinese websites that sell 'cheap' items that are supposed to bargains.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ovexul
New Community Member
good day did you solve the problem with the hotrait?
Login to Me Too

Stormygale56
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Richard..

You scenario reads very similar to my dealing with Hotrait.

I've just started my PayPal query but reading your outcome it seems as though this might have to be put down to experience.

I wonder how many other customers they've scammed in this way?  

Login to Me Too

pins100
New Community Member

i have the same problem exact same response. at this point i'm equally disgusted with PayPal for not sorting this out and still letting those fraudsters use PayPay to scam people with loopholes... for shame i trusted you PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Madbootboy
Contributor
Contributor

Top picture is what you get bottom picture is what you should have got

Login to Me Too

erroberts1
Contributor
Contributor

Hah! Consider yourself lucky. They sent me a two inch square of cardboard in an envelope.

PayPal needs to do more when these guys are displaying a "PayPal Verified" logo on their website. Total scam.

Login to Me Too

I have the same thing i paid extra for fast shipping and they now want DHL shipping, paypal is not helping he is on their site of i am closing my account on Paypal because paypal  not helping customers paypal is helping scammers way to go paypal.

Login to Me Too

TunableJeans6
Contributor
Contributor

This has happened to me as well. When contacting the seller through PayPal I received the same message, and when trying to further contact the seller I received no reply. I've now escalated the issue to PayPal, as I suggest everyone else do. If multiple people report the seller, we have better odds of it being dealt with.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.