Gumtree scam, can I be hacked?

Kg27
Contributor
Contributor

Hi this is my first post so don't know if I've done this wrong. I've posted an add on gumtree, I got a response asking if the item was available & could I reply to their personal email. I wouldn't do it usually & don't know why I did. They replied straight away to my personal email with the usual 'consider this deal done, I will send a courier when the PayPal payment has cleared' I obviously haven't responded any further but I was wondering if my PayPal account can be hacked with my email address or am I over thinking it?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kg27

It is possible depending on the level of expertise of the person doing it and whether you have great, secure protection on your computer and wifi connection. No way to really tell but the person does sounds sketchy. Keeping the transaction communication through the marketplace is much safer. If you want to go ahead with the transaction, always check your PayPal account to see if the the funds are there, don't just believe emails as they can be faked. And don't let them convince you to pay a third party payment processor so PayPal will "release funds". You're the seller, you're supposed to get paid, not pay.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.