Gumtree + Paypal scammer

tinatan1998
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

Just would like to share with the community about Gumtree + paypal scammer. the guy's name is David  from this khopp <removed> khoppm303 .

Here is his message via gumtree:

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 12:36 AM khopp <removed> khoppm303 wrote:
Thanks for your swift response. Have gone through your advert on Gumtree and  I'm well pleased with all you've stated.In regards to the price it sounds okay.Happy to proceed with the purchase..i want it sent to my cousin Abroad  as a surprise  gift through EMS Express (Australia International Post Express) I estimated the shipping cost which is about $150 to ship it over to my cousin. I won't be able to come for check up due to the nature of my work,I'm an oceanographer presently working off shore at the moment.Have tried calling but the network so bad for weeks now.Regarding payment method,If you have paypal account, you can send me your paypal email address,or alternatively send me your bank details,my merchant paypal account can transfer to any of  both account without delay.

Await your response Asap
Thanks

and here is his postage address:

Name: Cassandra <removed>
Address: <removed>
City: Greensboro
State: North Carolina
Zip code: 27405

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 2:47 PM  wrote:
Hi David,

I don't mind posting overseas but I am afraid with the cost of the laptop, your cousin will have to pay GST (and other duty) based on the regulation of the destination country.

I googled him and found him reported somewhere many times:

<removed>

Just be aware.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tinatan1998

This scam has been ongoing for about 20 years, glad you were not caught out.

They alternate fake names / fake addresses / fake throwaway or hijacked email addresses and often work out of an internet cafe often in Africa.

The address they give sometimes may be an innocent persons and is NOT theirs, thats why they want you to send it to a 'relative' in another country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.