Granting access to an account after turning 18?

shibenui
Contributor
Contributor

This is actually not about me, I am speaking on behalf of someone I know.  They are very stressed about this, and I want to do what I can to help.  Long story short, they created their account while they were a minor, and got locked out for that reason.  It was an honest mistake, they had no idea PayPal did not accept minors.  They turned 18 recently, and wanted to unlock it, I don't see why that couldn't be done.  But according to them, after an unsatisfying call with customer support, they were told their account is permanently unlockable, and that there is no way to unlock it, and that making a new account is forbidden.

Personally I think that is a bit ridiculous, no?  There has to be another way, no way can someone never use PayPal for the rest of their life due to an honest little slipup, right?  I told them it would be okay, and that I'm sure they can get access to PayPal somehow, but they feel very hopeless right now and adamant that "they're doomed".  Is this really true?  Does anyone know how to unlock an account after turning 18?  And if unlocking isn't possible, what about just making a new account?  It was a mistake, and they are a legal adult now, there has to be a way.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@shibenui 

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18.

PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so they must have added a fake birthdate when they opened the account or it would not completed, so again they must have known it was not allowed.

As they would be unable to verify the account it would be permanently locked for further use.

They would never be able to use that illegally opened underage account again but once 18 Paypal sometimes allow them to open a new account BUT that is not guaranteed as they don't like folks breaking their rules / user agreement.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

shibenui
Contributor
Contributor
Oooh, I see I see. If that’s the case, it must be a case of PayPal not being a fan of them breaking the rules. Maybe someday there will be a change of heart and they can unlock their account or be able to create a new one. Only time will tell. I’ll be sure to pass this information across to my friend seeking answers. Thank you very much for your response!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.