Got scammed

Thomasbackhouse
New Community Member
Right so basically i paid for some.models to a guy from the usa, turns out hes a prolific scammer and robs people a lot. So is the issue, the payment went through friends and family. This is the bit which concerns me as i checked, checked and checked again that it was though goods and services etc. Because i was a bit wearing of the post. Is there anything that can be done and is it possible for a payment to be sent via good services and show up as friends family. Could be do anything to alter this. Is there anyway of getting my money back
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thomasbackhouse 

When you send funds you click send money > put in the email address > then there are 2 options g/s or f/f so its pretty simple to choose the correct option.

That is unless he sent you a paypal.me link in which case if it was a personal account then you would have to tick the g/s box before you sent the payment.

If you didn't do either then sadly..............

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. 

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will assist you but unfortunately as it was a 'gift' payment they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.