Got scammed on a fake website and purchased item for $80.50

lastexile12
New Community Member

The site was part of a google shopping result and immediately after the transaction of paying via paypal, it transferred me to an error page and then a fake site with a weird url and all sorts of fake information like contact # is 1800-555-5555. And emails and everything was fake.

And never got a receipt via email and no tracking number on the landing page. I emailed the person on the paypal account and they never rsponded.

So I opened a dispute with Paypal claiming fraudulant unauthorized transaction figuring that's probably the right option. The paypal team came back and said I authorized the transaction. And CLOSED the case. And there's no way for me to reopen. I gave them detailed information of everything yet they did not bother checking the website or anything. They just figure I authorized the transaction and immediately closed the case.

There's no way for me to open another dispute. I have called Paypal during their business hours and after 30 minutes, I get hung up. Then I tried their chat online help and they transferred me multiple times and then asked me to use web form to submit a message. I submitted message and day later get a message saying I should go to Message Center and send another message.

This is so ridiculous. WTF am I suppose to do when nobody responds and they keep telling me to go somewhere else for help and it just goes round and round.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Phoebekim
Contributor
Contributor
I was also scammed on fake website. I was searching for an electric wok and suddenly this website popped up with this wok. I purchased it with PayPal and waited for confirmation from seller. Did not get one. The seller name was different from website, it was from a different country, I think China. I knew something was fishy. I called number on website, no answer. Then got message that my package was on way & delivered. I didn’t get it. I called UPS with tracking number, they said it was not my name or address. This scammer generated tracking number to prolong this scam. I called PayPal customer service, they are looking into it. Unfortunately, they will give this fraudster more time to correct this order, but they will just disappear and create another fake website. I will get a refund in the future as told by agent.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.