Got scammed, can I still issue a dispute to the email address my money was sent to?

vtvc17
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and good day!

Yesterday, July 2 2020, I got scammed for buying an online item / account. Our conversation was through a discord DM and I was able to get hold of his email. After sending the money through Paypal, he automatically blocked and so I can't send him a DM anymore.

Is there a way for me to report the email that he used to scam me? I'm willing to take legal actions, perform thorough investigations and online meetings to prove that I was scammed and I never received the item I was aiming for...

Thank you very much for your help!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vtvc17 

Depends how you paid: friends and family option, no buyer protection with such payments, you only have the option to file unauthorized transaction which PayPal will deny because no one broke into your PayPal account to send the payment. You may try contacting your credit card issuer, if that is how you paid but no guarantees.

If you paid as goods and services:

1. Locate and click payment transaction in your PayPal account activity
  2. Click "Report a problem”. 
  3. Click “I didn't receive an item I purchased”.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

vtvc17
Contributor
Contributor

Oh no... so my money will definitely won't be refunded anymore? As in no more light for this transaction? I got really frustrated how I was not able to get the item I desired... I lost $147 in a snap and was not able to get in touch with the seller anymore...

this is crazy... disappointing 😞

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vtvc17 

That is why it is so easy for seller to just block communication because there is no obligation to exchange goods and services with friends and family payments. Must be careful how you send payments, make sure you are using the goods and services option when buying.

You can click "Change" to select either "Paying for an item or service" or "Sending to a friend.” just under where you enter the amount in the payment process.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.