Got scammed by some random kid

LKPSA
Contributor
Contributor

I just got scammed. The guy sent me some proof and everything that he was legit. He was supposed to make some montages for me. He blocked me when I asked where it is. I only sent him 5 dollars, but it is a lot of money for me. I am in a bad situation. I got all the proof you need. Could someone from Paypal reply or just tell me what to do. I would like my money back or I want this guy to be punished. Thank you. I also got his email. Have a nice day.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LKPSA 

Fees are in the user agreement for every country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

chicken_run34
Contributor
Contributor

Did you send the money as Goods & Services? If so, you can file a nondelivery claim. If you sent as "friend & family", then you are out of luck.

Login to Me Too

LKPSA
Contributor
Contributor

Friends and family. What is the difference between the two? Should I only use the other option from now on? He told me it had to be friends and family. I am so stupid 😞

Login to Me Too

Teito23
Contributor
Contributor

Did you use a card when you did friends and family? You can go to your card issuer to do a chargeback. 

Login to Me Too

LKPSA
Contributor
Contributor

I think so. I just went to send money and sent it automatically. When I check the transaction out it shows this: 

LKPSA_0-1622048751648.png

and when I click on Report a problem it says this: 

Untitled68.png

could you show me a step-by-step tutorial to get it back? Thank you so much in advance. @Teito23 

Login to Me Too

Teito23
Contributor
Contributor

If you paid through card go to your card provider first to do a chargeback/unauthorized activity. I you paid through paypal good & Services you have buyer protection so call a representative is faster than trying to figure it out with their resolution center have them open the case as either as item not received or item no significantly described whichever makes more sense then when opened make sure paypal lets you attach proof to the case. They have been siding a lot with the other party lately.

Login to Me Too

LKPSA
Contributor
Contributor

What if I paid through Paypal, but through friends and family, not goods & Services. Is there anything I can do in that case. I will try to find some more solutions though. Thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LKPSA 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

LKPSA
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass Ok, I didn't know it qas againts the rules. I know him and I took him as a friend anyways. Can I just ask what is the fee for the other option (non friends and family). I will use it from now on. Thank you for your help.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LKPSA 

There is no fee if you use the goods/services option as sellers always pay any fees unless you may get currency conversion charges if you buy internationally.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.