Got scammed by shaw academy uk

Erdemerkoc
Contributor
Contributor

So i started getting photoshop course with a free membership for a month by shaw academy.( Started march 1) So after 25 days i thought i should cancel my membership cuz i might forget to do it before they charge me so i went to their website and i wasnt able to cancel it. I tried on their app and it didnt work as well. I found out that i had ti callthem to cancel it and thats what i did, and she told me bunch of new classes new discounts even tho i told her that i wanted to cancel. After 15 mins she told me to mail them to cancel my membership and i didnt quiete get where i was supposed to mail my cancellation. So i messaged them on whatsapp to cancel my membership because when i first started they told me that i could reach them by whatsapp and i have the evidences. So i asked them to cancel my membership at March 26th but noone canceled it i think and they charged me on march 29th. I went on their reviews by other customers, they do have lots of 1 stars and bunch of rages in their comments, everyone had the same problem. They charged me for 69.99 cad

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

PheDJ
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry it is so late but I got a refund by reporting them on https://www.bbb.org/us/de/wilmington/profile/online-education/shaw-academy-0251-92002528 hopefully it will work with you! Also tell your bank and raise another PayPal complaint, they should not be getting away with this!
Login to Me Too

CalebWilson
Contributor
Contributor

My partner has just had the same issue, just got off the phone with someone from shaw academy and her free trial isn't supposed to end until the 18th August. She gets off the phone to an email notification that a payment of 199 has been sent to them. and you can't call them back so I googled issues with shaw academy and it looks like she's not the only one.

Login to Me Too

zealousidealbag
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Got scammed by shaw academy uk I had same trouble with Shaw Academy - this is how I got my money back: https://uk.trustpilot.com/reviews/5edf868c7dd75305e0c17da0?utm_campaign=review_replied_email&utm_med...
Login to Me Too

AyElle
Contributor
Contributor
I spoke with a rep on 7/21/2020 to report issues and request a cancellation. However, she asked that I reconsider, provided me with a free tool kit and stated that she was restarting my 30 day free trial (which would have extended it to 8/20/2020). I continued to try with the service, but was still dissatisfied and was going to call back to cancel prior to my 30 days ending. When I checked my profile on 8/15/20, it showed that there were 4 days left in my trial period which would have been until 8/19/2020 (indicating that the 30 day trial was not restarted on 7/21/2020 as I was told it would be, she also indicated in the confirmation email). Either way, with the 4 days left, I had until the 8/19/2020 to cancel. My account was charged $69.99 on 8/18/20, prior to the 30 day trial ending. I called Shaw Academy on 8/18/2020 and spoke with another rep. I explained to him that I was charged prior to my trial period ending, requested cancellation and a refund. He stated that he looked at my account and agreed. He cancelled my membership and indicated that he sent the billing department a request for refund and suggested that I email Billing and request a refund as well. I received the email confirming my cancellation. I asked him to also send me a confirmation that he sent the request to the billing department. He assured me that he would email me the confirmation, however, I did not receive it. I did email billing, on 8/18/2020, requesting my refund. I received a confirmation from them stating that my email was received and I would get a response within 48 hours. I did not. I replied back to that email on 8/24/2020 indicating that I've not yet received a response or my refund of $69.99. I emailed them multiple times and finally received a response today saying that they charged me after the trial and would not refund me. I responded to that with telling them to listen to their record calls and to see the email thread with the email attached stating my 30 days would restart.
Login to Me Too

zealousidealbag
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, You can log a complaint at BBB.org - please follow instructions to log the complaint. Self explanatory. Again good to add here Shaw Academy Student ID as well as the Ticket number from Step 1 on guidance below to help link the complaint to the case and so Shaw Academy know who to refund.

Guidance how to get your money back from Shaw Academy: Europe (EU) and US (BBB.org) alternatives explained:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/reviews/5edf868c7dd75305e0c17da0?utm_campaign=review_replied_email&utm_med

Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Bill_UK
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing happened to me. Thought I'd signed up to free trial and just saw a PayPal charge for £49.99. They shouldn't be allowed to trick people like this.
Login to Me Too

Lisi20
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you ! I will fill a complaint , they cancelled my membership and now they gave lifetime membership! This is a fraudulent company
Login to Me Too

Sorchamcveigh
Contributor
Contributor
That’s exactly what they did for me even after I said I want my account closed! Said they couldn’t give me a full refund and when I said I filed a complaint with bbb they changed there tune
Login to Me Too

Cf154
Contributor
Contributor

I'm currently trying to get a refund on an accidental purchase where i caught the button on a touch screen emailed them within minutes and i mean less than 5 and at first they refused then I had someone promise me a refund because they were going to offer me the material free of charge and then the next person told me it wasn't possible when I chased as the 48 hours had passed. 

raised a dispute with PayPal as well but so far no-one is being helpful its exhausting and so stressful 

Login to Me Too

zealousidealbag
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, You can log a complaint at BBB.org - please follow instructions to log the complaint. Self explanatory. Again good to add here Shaw Academy Student ID as well as the Ticket number from Step 1 on guidance below to help link the complaint to the case and so Shaw Academy know who to refund.

Guidance how to get your money back from Shaw Academy: Europe (EU) and US (BBB.org) alternatives explained:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/reviews/5edf868c7dd75305e0c17da0?utm_campaign=review_replied_email&utm_med

Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.