Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

madsf
Contributor
Contributor

Ugh. My comment about my interactions with Paypal was taken down. So, long story short. I talked to three different men regarding the bait and switch of item and the ridiculousness of having to pay shipping costs to China that might be equal if not more than the refund one is requesting. I was so mad, not swearing but i said that they have men doing this because they can be less swayed and care less about finding a real solution--I know, gross generalization but I am furious, what can i say. I repeatedly told them that I paid for one item and got another(cheap, no functions ) and and to add insult to injury, the plug just slides out of socket, so defective too!  Paypal is nothing but inflexible, boilerplate responses when it comes to this scam. I said I know they are doing analytics  of all transactions and disputes, and that I am not the only one with this exact problem with this company(Huang Co. Guongdong, China, aka Ashy Snow) to which the reply is that they are not at liberty to discuss other accounts, blah, blah. They brought up their paltry shipping reimbursement program which from what i have read, does not cover shipping to China for many people. $30.00 hah! ridiculous. The whole situation and Paypal's handling of it is infuriating. They are siding with the scammers and their new policy seems to be, "buyer beware". People use them to protect them and their purchases and I really felt safe for many years using them but I think they are sliding backwards r perhaps they just feel like it's just too much money to do what they claim they are here for. I am disappointed and saddened that they are now handling these situations in this dismissive way.

Login to Me Too

JessicaR2
Same here! No where on that site did it say you were getting a plain black flat iron that is crap quality. Everything said 2 in one twist styler. The company refuses to fix it and now I’m out the money. I guess I’ll try to dispute with my bank from here.
Login to Me Too

Bleep819
Contributor
Contributor
The same thing happened to me. I don’t think I should have to pay the shipping to return this cheap thing to China. I hope someone shuts them down so they can’t scam others. Bait & switch is what they do to everyone.
Login to Me Too

Tomsgal87
New Community Member
I too purchased the iron. I thought PayPal was here to help us against scams. Since there are so many complaints why don’t they refund us our money and shut them down. There shouldn’t be any payments going to China.
Login to Me Too

12Lesina-K
I was also scammed by this company. I ordered the two and one curling iron and they sent me the straightener instead. When I tried to dispute it and tell them they sent me the wrong product they said I selected the black one and that’s what I received and that it’s also a curling iron. It’s just a black straightener with no curling capabilities. I tried showing them the picture and the name of the product I agreed to purchasing...two in one curling iron and they said they cannot help me.
Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
https://www.econsumer.gov/#crnt File complaints with whomever you paid with (Paypal or credit card), and keep calling if you don't get the answer you want. I also gave you the link above to file a complaint for international scams (FTC). GOOD LUCK AND BE PERSISTENT!!
Login to Me Too

Tabitha1990
Contributor
Contributor
I was also scammed by the Mioob facebook post for a 2 in 1 straightening iron. I just reported it but have been unable to contact the company for resolution as the only email listed is invalid. I am furious and hope something is done about their trash website and products.
Login to Me Too

TexasBoyMom
Contributor
Contributor

@Tabitha1990 Did you open a case with PayPal? That made it easy to start communication back and forth with the scam company. They'll try to tell you that's what you ordered or offer 15% refund, etc (they want to keep PayPal off their backs). Just tell them those options are unacceptable. You'll have to then call PayPal to actually get your money refunded but the refund took place immediately when I called and they told me to keep the terrible cheap flat iron or give it away.

Login to Me Too

Tabitha1990
Contributor
Contributor
I just opened a case through PayPal and the confirmation email mentioned if it was not resolved to contact them for further assistance. Hoping the seller will make things right, if not I will definitely be calling PayPal directly for a refund. Mine wouldn’t even close properly it was so cheaply made. Makes me so mad....
Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
If you paid by Paypal, file a claim. You do better calling Paypal than online. Same thing if it was a credit card. Dispute it regardless on Paypal to document.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.