Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

Bwasham75
Contributor
Contributor
I don't know I used my CC but it went through their PayPal not my PayPal so I can't even dispute it cause it shows no transaction on my side. This company is one big huge scam n it looks to me like it has been going on for a yr! SMH
Login to Me Too

Rlarivee
Im trying to get in touch with paypal. Why can’t they read all the complaints from this fraud company and shut it down already? I am trying to have paypal give me my money back but they want me to get in touch with the seller, but obviously it’s also a fake email.
Login to Me Too

Bwasham75
Contributor
Contributor
I would give it another month honestly I think going through customs is making it harder cause we had sanctions put against chins so I think that was the problem. I bet you receive it soon I bought mine in November and just got it!
Login to Me Too

NMS71
Contributor
Contributor
Dont hold your breath!! I got mine, like alot of people - but it was a CHEAP, $5 FLAT IRON - NOT what I ordered! The hassle to get my money back was nothing but a run around. Chalked it up to a LOSS of $40!!
Login to Me Too

ilovethebeach

This is exactly what happened to me and Paypal ruled in favor of them.

Login to Me Too

SPORTSM0M9198
Contributor
Contributor

Pay pal ruled against me too even though I had pictures of what I ordered & what they sent!!!  Pay pal can really suck sometimes too!!

Login to Me Too

cindylulu
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased some alcohol wipes and instant soap tissue and never got my product.  The tracking number they sent said my product arrived in Fremont CA on April 6th, but it never moved from there.  I opened a PayPal claim and Cmolo went crazy.  I got an immediate e-mail asking me to close the claim or I would be not be able to get a refund.  Then I received an e-mail from their "accounting" department saying the shipment was lost in transit and if I would close my claim that they would reship it or give me a full refund.  I closed the claim requested the refund and had a single response to my e-mail since.  I have report cmolo to the Federal Trade Commission:  You can to:  https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

I am out $51.79 ... but I just hope they stop these crooks from advertising on FB or anywhere in the USA.

Login to Me Too

Nancy541
Contributor
Contributor

I too got scammed by these thiefs!  $391.19 fir the soaps!

i will file a complaint as well with the FTC.  PayPal will not refund my money either!

Login to Me Too

widmanb

This is insane. I am the 172nd person scammed by this same company. 

My charge on the paypal account was to CMOLO CO. 

I had no idea I was purchasing from China.

Same story - they sent me a plain black flat iron. Said it was the one I ordered. Never even saw the flat iron on the ad. I have an excellent flat iron (Good Hair Day) and I don't need another. 

I've gotten the run around from the original company, offering a % off if I want to keep it. No I don't want to keep it, I could get a better one at the loca drug store. I've gotten the run around from Pay Pal... the company agreed to refund my entire amount of $33.89... so, great. I went to mail it, it was going to be over $50. Are you kidding me. The only thing Pay Pal says is "you can apply for $30 reimbursement and if we approve it, it will show up in your account in a few days." That is NOT protecting the customer. Punch me in the gut. 

I contacted my credit card company... I'm hoping they can do something. 

Why is this continuing? Why is Pay Pal allowing it?

Login to Me Too

NMS71
Contributor
Contributor
Dont bother with credit card co. Chalk up the loss!! I have a great credit card and even they had me jumping through hoops!! They wanted a letter, from another (any) company that sells that product, on their company letterhead, explaining WHY the product is not what was advertised. WHAT company is gonna WASTE their time doing this for me?? Ever hear 'don't want to get involved'....? And especially NOW!! So I'll take all this time explaining the issue to some random company, and convince them to help me (some random person) and then convince the credit card company to give me my money back? Eat the $30 - save your time, sanity and general mental health. Learning experience 😞
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.