Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

char777
Contributor
Contributor

CMOLO told me that if I wanted a full refund, I would have to return the item at my own expense - even though they were at fault for sending the wrong thing!? They said it would cost me about $20 to post back to them.

The maximum they have offered me is a 60% refund without returning the item - good considering they started at 20%!?
I said that if they didnt refund me 100%, I would just escalate to Paypal to sort it then.

They responded saying that if I did that, Paypal would require me to return the product anyway - at my own expense... 

Thieving con artists have clearly done this many times to know this!? So angry that Paypal are allowing them to get away with this! Their account should be shut down. I know its easy to set up another one, but something needs to be done to stop this company.

Login to Me Too

asecgin
New Community Member

This has happened on my account too. Facebook or someone made purchases without my authorization and PayPal closed my case without refunding. 

Login to Me Too

Msmonea
New Community Member
It took like a month or so to arrive and it was not as expected they are plain black flat iron no brand name on the product. They are definitely not better then my current flat irons that I purchased at my local beauty store. I couldn’t get a response from the company the email was weird just some numbers and letters I could not find a contact number. I am so upset I filed a dispute with PayPal but I don’t know how it will work out.
Login to Me Too

Nancy541
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed for $391.09 for hand soap!  HAND SOAPS!  Should have been $39.09

NOT $391.09.

paypal will do nothing, they said I authorized it.  This is NOT TRUE.  

Login to Me Too

ytan1397
Contributor
Contributor
That’s the company that scammed me 2 years ago. What’s disgusting and disturbing is that Facebook and paypal don’t do anything to stop their fraud activity. Paypal didn’t do anything with my dispute over this matter.
Login to Me Too

rg117
Contributor
Contributor

Brought a webcam from this company. was discribed as a high quality Full HD webcam, but when it arrived its a low quality low resolution webcam.

They also claimed to be based in UK and dispatch from UK. Their facebook page has disappeared.

This is their business model , lie & cheat at the point of selling. Then offer a token discount because they won't cover cost of returns. Facebook & Paypal are participants in this massive fraud. The number of cases against the same company, and yet PayPal always finds in their favour.

Login to Me Too

RoxyDad
Contributor
Contributor
You’re out of luck. Got scammed by a Chinese Co for $109. PayPal payed the funds. I received nothing, even though the scammers provided a tracking number etc. PayPal denied my claim. Lesson learned. The item offered was being sold for pennies on the $$$ and I knew it!!
Login to Me Too

SylvieA
New Community Member

Wow! I bought that 2 in 1 hair tool as well.

Never received it but PayPal was able to dispute the claim and after about a few months I received my money back. 

Login to Me Too

cindylulu
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal never refunded my money.  They actually quit corresponding with me on it.  I filed a complaint with the US Trade Commission.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.