Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

MariaLulu
New Community Member
It’s true! I ordered thru a FaceBook link which I’ve done many times before and received exactly what I thought I ordered but not this time. After waiting for weeks I was so excited to receive my curling iron. Well it’s not. It’s not even close to what they advertised. It’s a basic cheap flat iron. It’s not even a good one. I’m so angry with these scammers! The price of junk cost $30 dollars. They go be many names. The brand name on the iron is YUCHUN. On my paypal transaction the company is called CMOLO CO. When the iron arrived it was not packaged ver professional and there was no invoice or receipt. Just the iron in a box. Very strange. I can’t figure out how to rerun it because they virtually gave nothing to trace back to them. No order confirmation email. The only evidence of a purchase is my PayPal charge which doesn't match up to what I thought I ordered. Stay away from this company's products. Golden Iron is another name they use. I should have just bought the one I saw at CVS but decided to save $10 by ordering online. What a mistake with this one!
Login to Me Too

Babbette
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same thing happened to me when I ordered the curling iron in November 2019 and received it 6 weeks later; damaged and incorrect color (I don’t think the pink iron exists!) I’m now arguing with Paypal online to get a refund!, it’s February 2020...why hasn’t Paypal stopped supporting this SCAM???

Login to Me Too

C-Winter68
Contributor
Contributor
This is my opinion, I think it's about money. PayPal gets money for every transaction. So if we're buying from whomever, whether it's a scam it not, using PayPal they get money.
Login to Me Too

Babbette
Contributor
Contributor
^^^Agreed. Good point!
Login to Me Too

LRT1045
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I got scammed as well from a Facebook post apparently the name of the company is CMOLO CO,waited over a month for the iron couldn’t get in touch with the idiots and when I received it,it was the wrong one
Login to Me Too

Ziggylinz
Contributor
Contributor
Yes me also, they sent an ordinary flat iron saying I had ordered wrong one not the gold. Dispute with Cmolo.com, in dollars's from warhouse in UK. Paypal instructions were I had to return it to China at my cost, with tracking. So in total, my pocket - £13.00 + no product.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Randy

@Ziggylinz,

I recommend enrolling in the Return Shipping on Us program by visiting:  https://bit.ly/2SDvwFj

- Randy

Login to Me Too

Babbette
Contributor
Contributor
Randy, That is an extremely lame excuse. That puts the blame on customers because we didn’t enroll in a program, when clearly if you read all the posts you will see the people expect PayPal to stand by purchases. After all, that’s part of what PayPal protection is supposed to be. Don’t think that this goes unnoticed that PayPal is choosing to stand by some fraudulent vendor in China because we all know there’s a kickback involved. But hey, if PayPal can afford to lose customers because it obviously doesn’t care then good for the company! I don’t have to give PayPal my money and neither does anyone else.
Login to Me Too

Bwasham75
Contributor
Contributor
I'm sorry to hear that and none of that seems fair at all. I got the gold one and it doesn't work like they say. It's difficult to use and to curl forget it. I just straightened my hair with it. Very dissatisfied. I would just keep the straight iron cause the other one is not worth even going through all the trouble.
Login to Me Too

Faith713
Contributor
Contributor

The company also offered a refund if I sent it back, but shipping to China isn't worth it and I refused to be scammed any further. I filed a dispute with PayPal, and they refunded me the money for the straightener though.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.