Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

JSmall10
Contributor
Contributor
ME TOO!!!! I am trying to get my money back now. They replied to my email in broken English and want me to take a video of the cheap black plastic straightener that I received not working. It is nothing like the product advertised! It’s totally a scam!!!
Login to Me Too

seeourah
Contributor
Contributor
I recommend calling PayPal. I finally got a refund after waiting like 10 days because of course the fraud company had no defense for their con. Only by actually calling PayPal did I get my money back.
Login to Me Too

ytan1397
Contributor
Contributor
Lucky you. Paypal wanted me to send it back at my cost
Login to Me Too

M_kk
Contributor
Contributor
I received only the small plain black straightener which is not what I ordered and it was damaged because it was shipped in an envelope. I made a claim because they didn’t want to refund my money unless I paid return shipping. I feel like that’s unfair since I’m not the genius that shipped a cheap quality product in an envelope. Of course PayPal sides with them and would like me to spend half of my refund to ship the wrong damaged product back to them. So much for PayPal protection. Not sure why PayPal would still allow this company to use their services with this many complaints.
Login to Me Too

summerEyescam
SummerEyeCo scammed me US22.95 for super elastic stockings. Claimed to be indestructible. Ripped at first try. Money back guarantee denied, stupid email responses only. Do not touch anything they try selling.
Login to Me Too

NMS71
Contributor
Contributor
I wish I had seen all this before I got sucked in!! I tried to dispute through my credit card company (who had no trouble contacting them, even though I couldnt reach anyone!) THAT went no where!! Credit card company wanted a letter, on letterhead, from a simular business detailing WHY the product was not as ordered. Guess how far I got trying to get another vendor involved...!! Nope!! And really, WHY would they? I figured the credit card company could see for themselves that a '3 in 1 CURLING IRON' IS NOT a CHEAP **bleep** $5 'flat iron'..... doesnt even make sense.... but they didnt. Now I am out the $40 I paid for a cheap FLAT IRON when I already have STRAIGHT HAIR!! SO UNFAIR that they can get away with this!!
Login to Me Too

Bwasham75
Contributor
Contributor
I bought it on November 29 through PayPal but my card. It is December 23 and I have heard nothing. I haven't received anything either.
Login to Me Too

ytan1397
Contributor
Contributor
Nah don’t hold your breath for it. I have escalated my case to the top and paypal did not sharpen their pencils to sort it so it’s just easier to think you lost the money in a train to Busan lol.
Login to Me Too

Bwasham75
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah I'm not, but I'm going vto contact Facebook and find out why they are allowing people to be scammed out of money. No product has ever been sent. This give fb a very bad name.
Login to Me Too

ytan1397
Contributor
Contributor
But why couldn’t Paypal stop them from using them? Obviously there are too many of us who complained about this particular company and yet they don’t care less!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.