Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
Well I must have gotten lucky because I got 100% refund from Paypal without returning irons. I provided pictures and links to bogus ads, too. I was told originally that I HAD to return the irons to China when Paypal first responded to my claim online. Not only pay to ship, but WITH TRACKING which would have cost over $100 to get a partial refund of $30. I was very upset, so I CALLED Paypal customer service and they pulled up my account and looked at my correspondence with seller. Next she told me she had been scammed before, too, and refunded me and said I could do whatever I wanted with the irons. I suggest you call and keep calling until you get the result you want. Good luck!
Login to Me Too

Dormurr
Contributor
Contributor
Wow, I did all of that too and PayPal insisted I had to return the item. Now I'm suck with a piece of junk. I'm going to try calling them again. Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Hi! Anything come of the dispute? Is there a way to cancel the product before it gets to me?
Login to Me Too

Dormurr
Contributor
Contributor
I'm still fighting with PayPal and I suggest you contact them to try and cancel. This has been a nightmare!!
Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
You can file an international fraud or scam claim with the Federal Trade Commission. Here is a link. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/media/video-0159-report-international-scams-econsumergov
Login to Me Too

seeourah
Contributor
Contributor
I recommend calling PayPal. I finally got a refund after waiting like 10 days because of course the fraud company had no defense for their con. Only by actually calling PayPal did I get my money back.
Login to Me Too

Rachael22
Contributor
Contributor

I have been back and forth with the company and now PayPal. I am so dissapointed with PP. I have been using them for 7years and this might just end that relationship. I have never disputed anything in those 7 years. THIS IS NOT OK! PP needs to suspend Summer-Eye from taking payments. I will also be filling several complaints as stated above by another customer. 

Login to Me Too

Vickyweikert
Contributor
Contributor
I think Paypal is in cahoots with this Lij co and splitting the money for everyone that purchased this curling iron. In my opinion paypal is allowing them to scam us. I will be contacting BBB. And my local news.
Login to Me Too

Dormurr
Contributor
Contributor
I tried BBB, they don't handle foreign companies and I had a hard time trying to find a claim on an international BBB sure. I'm going to keep trying!! Good luck!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.