Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

Rutha14
Contributor
Contributor
I ordered the same 2 in 1 curling iron and it came from Bell, CA. I have reached out to pay pal and the company said I can return for a full refund. The shipping address to send to is in China and will cost me $109 to send back.... So the company said that they would only give me 15%back. This is bull. They are responding to my emails so I'm going to threaten them. Maybe that will work.
Login to Me Too

Angge
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

the same thing happened to me, I bought the gold iron, took forever to get it then it was defective, it won’t even turn on. I emailed them for the refund and they want me to take a video of the broken item, which i did. After which they want me to send the item back at my expense and that if i want a new one, buy again. That is when I contacted Paypal to help with the refund.  Only to be told by Paypal that I need to send the product at my expense. If this has been happening, I wish Paypal stops endorsing this company.  Why do you even want to be associated with a company that scams people.  This summer_eye Co. Ltd. should be prosecuted for scamming people.  I am disappointed with Paypal as well.

Login to Me Too

SPORTSM0M9198
Contributor
Contributor

I got scammed by them too!  They did respond to my email & offered a 15% refund if I keep the item & if I send it back AT MY OWN EXPENSE they will refund my purchase price.   paypal has not responded to my dispute but based on my other recent experiences with them I'm not holding my breathe!!!   I think in the future I will do my business elsewhere....paypal doesn't seem to be very dependable anymore either!! 

Login to Me Too

Dianeindy
THIS IS CRAZY, the exact thing happened to me. Such a scam.... they list the black at a lower price, but it appears the only difference is color and black is cheaper. Luckily, I filed a dispute and they agreed to refund 25 of the 27 dollars i spent. Now I see why... they have probably had hundreds of disputes filed. And i'm **bleep**. Because I really wanted that iron 😕
Login to Me Too

Pattywack
I was also scammed by summer eye co. Ltd. I wanted to return the product for a full refund but there is no return address. I wanted the 2 in 1 curling iron but received just a cheap, black straightener. I will donate it to Goodwill. Someone may be able to use it.
Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
I was going to donate mine, too, but today I read someone used theirs and got the biggest ELECTRICAL SHOCK! I just threw mine away.
Login to Me Too

ali8u4t
Contributor
Contributor

Me too! I stupidly tried to use the black iron and got a MASSIVE electric shock! Seriously, much bigger than any kind of shock I've had before. DO NOT TRY TO USE!

Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for telling us!! I was going to donate mine to Goodwill but after reading this, I threw mine away.
Login to Me Too

Dormurr
Contributor
Contributor
Great! And all PayPal told me to do is return it at my cost, of almost $40 with no guarantee they'll reimburse shipping, which would at best be up to $30!! Way to protect your customers PayPal. I will never order through them again or any online ad again! Amazing they can get away with an illegal bait and switch!!!
Login to Me Too

541janice
Contributor
Contributor

I also saw the Mestar 2 in 1 hair curler device on facebook. I got scammed too! The company had two different names Ingll and LiJ Co. I thought I would have an open and shut case with PayPal because I provided them with the "video" link off of facebook and pictures showing what I ended up getting. The box it came in didn't even match the Mestar-- there was a picture of a hair crimper on the box! Basically in order for you to get a full refund from PayPal you MUST send the item back to CHINA first and provide PayPal proof with the tracking number. And that's usually where it ends-- no one is going to pay MORE than the amount of the refund to ship a piece crap back to them. But that's PayPal's policy. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.