Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

kaylahays
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me too! Just opened a dispute. I did contact them and they emailed back. I did get a plane flat iron. But nothing like the ad looks like. I followed an ad through my words with friends app. Sad. 

Login to Me Too

Net_miss_me
Contributor
Contributor
Got scammed as well! Please contact PayPal and file a dispute, if they receive enough negative feedback this company will no longer be affiliated with PayPal!
Login to Me Too

Rutha14
Contributor
Contributor
Ugh same. They told me I ordered the wrong one since I went with black.
Login to Me Too

seeourah
Contributor
Contributor
Me too!!! They sent a junky black straightener, not what was pictured ( a nice 2-in 1 curler/straightener rivaling the expensive Tyme iron) I ordered! I returned it to the California address on the package because I wanted a refund, but after that “summer eye co” via email says I need to pay to return it to CHINA?! This was also my first time having to dispute a transaction with PayPal and I am VERY disappointed. They contacted the Co. then messaged me to return it to China! PayPal did not protect me from this scam artist and seems to have sided with summer eye co 😞 YES This is a scam fraud and ridiculous! Like are they in this together?! I will not use PAYPAL again!
Login to Me Too

TexasBoyMom
Contributor
Contributor

I got scammed, too. https://daddyrecommend.com/products/90-off-last-day-promotion2-in-1-mestar-iron-pro?variant=19952286...

I paid $26.59 through Paypal.

It's been almost 3 weeks. I was trying to be patient as sometimes shipping No email receipt. No product. Nothing. Tomorrow will be 20 days.

I've emailed the company.

Login to Me Too

Walfam
Contributor
Contributor
I’m a little confused by all these posts saying they were scammed. I too ordered the 90% off special for the flat iron curling iron combo... it was$24.99, Black... good was 34.99 or something and I figured I didn’t need the fancy one in the video. I only wanted to try it. I know with most things like this, wish, many other items on fb ads, they are coming from over seas, China, England, etc... it arrived today 3/13/19, I ordered it on 2/23/19. Not crazy late, I’ve seen things take over a month, but it’s the price of saving money. When it arrived I too was confused at first so I found my order in my email, looked up the video and saw yup it plainly stated I was getting the black less fancy one for $24.99. I was charged once thru PayPal without a problem and they shipped what I ordered. I saw all these posts about being scammed that it wasn’t the gold one in the video and that it was just a simple flat iron. I’ve never owned a flat iron as I have naturally straight hair, but I just tried it and sure enough the curls cane out like the video. Mostly it’s awkward to start out with so I probably won’t be able to curl my whole head in 10 mins, but it did in fact work. It is definitely difficult to contact companies like these but at the bottom of my order there is an email for questions or issues. I don’t know if that will reach an English speaking person nor assist on how to return for anyone that isn’t happy, but I like mine and realize I wasn’t duped, I just didn’t pick the gold. On my paypal it shows them under another name as well as gives instructions for a dispute. I hope everyone figures out the best way to deal with their issues, but it’s really easy and the curls are natural and cute looking once I knew how to hold it. Good luck everyone!
Login to Me Too

TexasBoyMom
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I own a flat iron already. So while I can awkwardly twist my hand around to try and create a curl with the FLAT IRON THEY SENT, it's super hard. That's why I wanted a 2-in-1 curling iron/flat iron. Did you go from this landing page, too? https://daddyrecommend.com/products/90-off-last-day-promotion2-in-1-mestar-iron-pro?variant=19952286...   At the very top they only show the 2-in-1 and that's what I thought I was getting. Black was lower priced--but I thought it was like on Amazon that sometimes certain colors of things cost more than others (and black is often less expensive). I feel duped because they advertised a 2-in-1 and sent me a flat iron. They now say they are out of stock on the 2-in-1. Ironically, the above website is still selling these today!

Login to Me Too

kaylahays
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly what happened to me! They don't show the black one at all or say there is a difference. I didn't get a receipt in my email either. Only a PayPal charge. To return with tracking costs over $100. If you don't track then they probably just say they didn't get it back. They reimbursed me $5 to keep it and then I sold it for $20. Doesn't even look like the black one they sent me a picture of though after I inquired! It also isn't ceramic coated like their black one.
Login to Me Too

seeourah
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly!
Login to Me Too

ytan1397
Contributor
Contributor
You’re lucky they replied to you. Paypal did not help me with this one and is very disappointing. They told me to return the item at my cost. No way i spend more. Good on paypal getting paid by this seller who scams people
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.