Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

Tabitha1990
Contributor
Contributor
I’ll do that, thanks for the info!:)
Login to Me Too

Sweatpants
Contributor
Contributor
Where do I get the number to PayPal
Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/contact/call
Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor

<removed>

Login to Me Too

elavdeveloper
Contributor
Contributor
The same thing happened to me, but with some cameras for the car. I contacted the seller, spent 20 days, Paypal closed my case and now they say they can not help me. If so many people have had the same problem, I do not understand how Paypal has not taken action on the matter.
Login to Me Too

PMK44

This happened to me as well. I bought the 2 in 1 that is supposed to curl my hair without me having to do the curling. It is supposed to be curved on one end. They sent a cheap black hair straightener - not at all what was described in the photos or video. It also only has an on and off button no feature to change the temp to 4 different settings as advertised. I reach out to the company and to PAYPAL after seeing all of these reviews. Super annoying that they have not been flagged already with all of these similar complaints. 

Login to Me Too

PMK44

This happened to me as well. I bought the 2 in 1 that is supposed to curl my hair without me having to do the curling. It is supposed to be curved on one end. They sent a cheap black hair straightener - not at all what was described in the photos or video. It also only has an on and off button no feature to change the temp to 4 different settings as advertised. I reach out to the company and to PAYPAL after seeing all of these reviews. Super annoying that they have not been flagged already with all of these similar complaints. 

Login to Me Too

elavdeveloper
Contributor
Contributor

In the end Paypal did not solve my problem. Luckily most of the money I paid with my credit card, and my credit institution if it will interfere with me. I do not buy anything else through Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Tabitha1990
Contributor
Contributor
Same here. I spent almost an hour on the phone to hear the same thing repeated over and over “their policy is to refund money when the item is returned” and “we can offer a $30 credit towards shipping cost but you would still pay out the extra amount to return the item for a refund” ughhhh seriously it doesn’t make sense why they won’t do anything. Luckily I called my bank right after my pointless conversation with PayPal and they resolved the issue in less than 10 minutes. They refunded my money and are going after the scam company. My suggestion is to call your bank if you had it linked in the account since PayPal obviously does not care to protect its customers.
Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
That's great you got refunded!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.