Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
First let me clarify. I ordered TWO of the MESTAR 2 in 1 CURLING irons, and it didn't matter what color they were, as long as they are the ones pictured (no flat irons appeared ANYWHERE) in their videos or pictures on their advertisements. Secondly, I am not opposed to ordering from China or anywhere else for that matter. I order from Wish, and Ebay from different countries IF I get what was advertised, which they did NOT, then I am a happy customer. Thirdly, if I am shipped a product from the United States (return label is California), and I want to return said item, I should NOT be held hostage that I have to pay FOUR TO FIVE TIMES the amount of shipping back to CHINA than it would cost in USA! They REFUSED my request to return to California, as well as said THEY couldn't afford to pay for my return postage. THEY intentionally sent wrong product because everyone is receiving the same cheap black straighteners. You cannot tell me that is not part of their scam. If they (the customer) has to pay enormous fees to return ship, that people will just go away. If you are happy with your black hair straightener, I am happy you can use it. However for me.... nope.
Login to Me Too

Rutha14
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly!! I am so furious we are all experiencing the same thing. I have sent a threatening email to the company and will see what they say. I'd rather fight to get a full refund and stop this company than accept $5 refund. What terrible people they are.
Login to Me Too

ytan1397
Contributor
Contributor
Good on you because it worked but unfortunately for the majority it’s not, i bought a 2 in 1 as advertised ($27) not what they sent me which is worth $10 in a china town street market.
Login to Me Too

mlclow

Hi. I also purchase the same flat iron. I now ask where something is shipping from before purchasing and I will never buy from a Facebook ad again. That being said, I finally got my money back from Paypal. I called which is much better than emailing and told them that the ad shows a beautiful rosegold iron but that one isn't on sale. However, the black one is $24.99 but they never show you what the black one looks like. I did receive the black one and it's a piece of crap. Paypal went in my favor, but I was going to have to return the iron to get my refund. It would have cost me $60-100 to return the piece of junk. After calling a second time and expressing my frustration, they actually refunded my $29.98 because I've had my paypal acct since 2005. I also told paypal that I was very disappointed that they allowed a company like that to use their services and she said she would look into them and possible not allow them to use paypal. I hope you got your money back too.

Login to Me Too

jumas19
Contributor
Contributor

HI, I am searching Paypal website for a contact phone number, no luck. What number did you use to call Paypal? Thank you in advance!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @jumas19,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

You will find our contact details by clicking Help & Contact at the bottom of any PayPal page. Then choose call us. This will prompt you to log in. If you are unable to do this, just choose to continue as a guest to find the number. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

mad66
New Community Member
I too have been scammed by summer_eye CO Ltd! I have placed a case with pay pal in order to get my money back. The company me a bogus tracking number, no way to contact them and no product ever got delivered to me! They need to be prosecuted for fraud!!!
Login to Me Too

GiselleH
New Community Member

I have a different dispute with this company. I ordered a backpack which is not as described and that has loose threads. So I asked for a refund & the postage cost to return the item. After countless emails, they are not prepared to pay the return costs to China which will be considerable. Plus they require tracking details. This would all cost more than the bag! I have opened a dispute with Paypal & am waiting for a response. Avoid this company like the plague!

Login to Me Too

gigiradcliffe
Contributor
Contributor

Add another one to the scammed list...me!  I have emailed the Summer_eye company that sent me the cheap black flat iron, rather than the 2 in 1 Twist Straightening Curling Iron.  I received a response via Paypal from the "customer service" department, asking me to keep the flat iron, and accept a 15% refund.  I refused, said I wanted a pre-paid shipping label to return the product, and a full refund.  If they do not comply, my next step is to elevate to Paypals resolution center, and see what they do.  Good luck everyone.  

Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
If you keep negotiating with summer_eye, tell them you will report them to https://www.econsumer.gov/#crnt to file a complaint for international scams for BAIT AND SWITCH. They then offered me to keep my 2 irons and receive $25 of the $38.40 they owed. I requested $30 with no returns and they didn't respond so I filed it as a claim with Paypal. ***NOTE: When you do this, all previous negotiated offers are null and void. So then Paypal shocked me by requiring me to pay to return TO CHINA with 14 days WITH TRACKING to only get partial of $30. I was mad because I thought Paypal was supposed to be on MY side. So that's when I called Paypal and they refunded every penny and said I could do what I wanted with the irons. Keep calling until you get your money!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.