Got scammed by a Facebook ad selling Golden curling 2 in 1 hair iron.

Stellaluna1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I got scammed out of approximately 45.00$ from a Chinese company working (apparently) from the UK. Their name is summer_eye CO., Ltd but they go by many, many names on social media ads mainly on Facebook. They have scammed many women including myself. They state they sell the MESTAR IRON PRO - GOLD but in reality they don't send anything. The very few on Facebook that actually have been lucky to receive anything, have receive a plain black hair straightener that is worth about 10$ and some are damaged goods. 
I have discovered, unfortunately after the fact, that they NEVER respond to the email they provided on their website. Additionally, the phone number they posted on their site does not work either. The first time I called, a man speaking Chinese answered and he didn't speak English nor French.  He hung up on me.  All additionally calls went to voice mail.  

After some investigating on my part, I have discovered who owns the company, where they are located in the UK and how many company they have registered (I even have their date of birth).  
I was under the impression that PayPal kept people's funds secure for a few days and only released it after a certain amount of days but it seems PayPal redeemed my funds immediately to the fraudulent vendor.

I have since opened a case file with PayPal and await to see what on earth will come of it. 
Since this is my first time getting scammed, my question is, What should I expect from PayPal ? Will this process be an easy one considering these scammers are still up and running on Facebook.

I have opened up a file with Shopify since these scammers are powered by them and with Facebook. I have also opened up a criminal police report since I am a victim of online internet fraud.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Login to Me Too
128 REPLIES 128

cindylulu
Contributor
Contributor

I never received the product or my money back.  Paypal did NOTHING and the vendor is obviously still "selling" ghost products on Facebook!  Learned my lesson and will never order anything off FB again.  I also filed a case with the Federal Trade Commission on the vendor and never heard anything back on that either. Good luck with trying to get your money back.

Login to Me Too

ytan1397
Contributor
Contributor
Omg same issue i have right now. I’m thinking im kind of lucky i used paypal but my report problem in resolution centre dont get through for so many attempts?
Login to Me Too

Sew2
Contributor
Contributor

The exact same scenario for me too.  Unfortunately, I paid for it with a CC and now have to work backwards with my CC company to recover the funds even though the summer eye co uses Paypal as their transaction base. Very frustrating. Truly hate to be taken advantage of and would hope Paypal will see this feed and take note or action against Summer Eye Co before further people are scammed.

Login to Me Too

Dormurr
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing just happened to me. Ordered a Mestar 2 in 1 iron and got a lousy Ruida flat iron. They are trying to tell me it's the same product when it clearly is not. Went through PayPal but paid on my debit card. Now what??
Login to Me Too

Bwasham75
Contributor
Contributor
It took 2 months to get mine but is was the 2 babies n 1 it is big round on top and flat on bottom and the bigger side goes to the right. So it's not like a flat iron I got it the one I ordered. I hope you get it figured out. Betty
Login to Me Too

C-Winter68
Contributor
Contributor
I paid extra for faster shipping and it still took over a month. I opened the package and it wasn't what I ordered which was the 2 in one straightener/curler. I have e mailed customer service about this and now they want pictures, order number etc. Really frustrating
Login to Me Too

Bwasham75
Contributor
Contributor

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. They are stopping all shipments now from China. I just had 4 orders money returned to me. Because of the coronavirus, which I wouldn't want now, however 22 states in America now are infected with the virus! Becareful! You can find my YouTube as I report on the virus. <removed>

Login to Me Too

Faith713
Contributor
Contributor
Did you get a refund?
Login to Me Too

Dormurr
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing here. Ordered a a Mestar 2 in 1 curling flat iron and received a cheap Ruida flat iron. They are trying to tell me it's the same product and won't refund. Paid with my debit card through paypal thinking I was covered. Now what??
Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
I found online at the https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/10/reporting-international-scam that you can file an international claim for scammers at http://www.econsumer.gov/. That's my next step if they won't refund my money. And I'm not going to drop dispute to get my money, and I'm not going to pay to return ship. Good luck everyone! Spread the word!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.